Mini Thermometer project

I have been looking for a small outside air thermometer, for my car but haven't been able to find anything suitable. I don't want anything large or obtrusive but need to know when it is freezing out. At one point I was considering a remote sensor to detect the road surface temp, but it turns out the remote sensors aren't very accurate at these temps, and can get expensive if they are. Can any one point me to a small LCD display I can interface with a temperature sensing chip? Or does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Al G

Reply to
Al G

http://www.ekitchengadgets.com/diincarthwii.html?CS_001=5&CS_002=21&CS_010=36-Digital%20Indoor/Outdoor%20Car%20Thermometer%20With%20Ice%20Alert%20PS2673TI
Reply to
John Fields

The leak current in a Darlington transistor pair doubles for each 6 degree Celsius, and can give you a nice measurement current. Add a resistor and Smitt trigger chip, and you have a quite accurate trip point thermometer.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Thanks, I'll look into it...

Al G