electron optics

As I understand what I've read about electron optics, one basically reduces the problem of electron motion to the motion of light in a medium whose index of refraction is different at every point. Such a medium may be described as "inhomogeneous". I could be mistaken but I also have the impression that this inhomogeneous medium is also isotropic, in the sense that at any given point the index of refraction is the same in all directions at that point.

What I would like to know is whether there are any conditions under which electron optics can be described by light in a medium which is possibly still inhomogeneous but but which is anisotropic. If so, please let me know where I can read about it, preferably in books.

Ignorantly, Allan Adler snipped-for-privacy@zurich.ai.mit.edu

  • *
  • Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
  • Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
  • in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
  • metropolitan area. *
  • *
Allan Adler

Glass and unstressed plastic are isotropic and can have multiple points within the medium that exhibit different R.I. By applying stress to the glass or plastic, local zones within the medium have anisotropic properties. This can be directly observed under crossed Polaroids. You can also create anisotropic crystals from isotropic crystals. However, "inhomogeneous" might not apply here. In anisotropic crystals R.I. is a directional phenomena rather than a point effect. Will E.

*
*
*
*
*
*
will e

Haven't got a reference, but you can make a spin sorter using electric and magnetic fields, which is a good analogy to an anistoropic optical medium. n

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs