Building magnet-magnetizer

I've got a old electro therapy machine from 1850. It is a simple horse-shoe magnet with 2 coils rotating in front of it. But the magnet is weakend after 153 year. I want to build a magnet-magnetizer. Can somebody help me with tips suggestions or mabye even plans.

Thanks

Jean

Reply to
jean

When I was a kid, I magnetized my screwdrivers by placing them in a solonoid and sparking a 6V lantern battery across the terminals of the coil. Made them strong enough to pick up nails and screws.

Al

--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......
Reply to

is

somebody

Yuppp that's almost what I was going to suggest. My thought was to remove the magnet and wind as many turns of 16 or 18 gauge wire around it as will fit. Then get a high current power supply, one that can put out several amps of current at around 5 volts or so. Apply the current to the winding for a few seconds and see if it increased the strength. If the strength seems lower, reverse the polarity of the power supply connection and try again. Don't know how long to suggest that the current be applied.. A word of caution here... be sure that the power supply you use has current limiting, or at least some form of short circuit protection. The reason being that the winding will present a very low resistance load and could damage an unprotected power supply. Cheers!!!

--
Tweetldee
Tweetldee at att dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in the

Tweetldee

In article , snipped-for-privacy@onzin.nl mentioned...

You just wind a lotta turns of wire around the magnet poles, and put DC thru the wire. Make sure you get the polarity right. If you use very heavy wire, you could probably do the job with a car battery.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

It might be interesting to find out how it was originally done in 1850, then try to duplicate that.

Reply to
Garrett Mace

is

somebody

AC with a diode also works. AC without the diode makes a dandy demagnitizer.

Reply to
Robert Monsen

is

somebody

then

Reply to
Art

-------------- Take the permanent magnet out and heat it red hot with torches and then slip electromagnets around it and sustain a powerful field till it cools well below the glowing stage into the deep IR.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

is

somebody

"Gingery's Magneto Magnetizer" by Dave Gingery

Dave will show you lhow to build a device to recharge old magneto magnets and create new iron magnets for experimental purposes. It's a proven device built from currently available materials, and at low cost.............$7.95

Reply to
Baphomet