Failed Electro

** See ABSE for graphic image of faulty 6800uF electro cap.

Not one for the squeamish....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Please excuse my ignorance, but what group is ABSE?

Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

"Colin Horsley"

** ABSE = " alt.binaries.schematics.electronic "

Not available with Google Groups or a few yank ISPs that have banned all " alt " NGs.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

& iinet who stopped carrying binary ng's some time ago...... :(
Reply to
Den

"Den"

** The ABSE pic is here:

" ** The attached pic is of a 6800uF, 80 volt, 85C electro of recent Taiwanese manufacture, which has not been subjected to abuse in any way. When removed from the equipment last Friday, it was completely open circuit and with the top slightly bulged.

When the seal was broken, it hissed like a can of beer does when you pull the ring and brown liquid bubbled out the opening.

The brand is " Su'scon " - no kidding.

So the "Capacitor plague " is still with us.

"

.... Phil

Phil Allison

Thanks. Westnet newsgroup only has "alt.binaries.sex*****" then it goes to " alt.binaries.sleazemovies" No "schematics" in sight.

Viewed at:-

Pretty gross.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

a bit like "Mean-Well" SMPS's

Reply to
Den

Yep, that's why I can't look there.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Cheers Colin

Reply to
Den

yuck.

lucky it didnt explode. That would have made a mess.

Reply to
kreed

Many people can't easily access ABSE, that's why it's a bit silly to post there these days. Would be much better if everyone simply posted images to a web based photo host or other such site, then *everyone* can see them. Most ISP's include your own web space for free.

BTW, limited access to ABSE is available on the web here:

Takes a while for images to get cached though, and often not everything shows up. The cap photo in question is there.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Colin Horsley"

** The other 6800uF filter electro in the same amplifier ( Ashton BA400H) is in similar condition - not quite as advanced but would have failed completely very soon.

I reckon it the whole batch is involved.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

alt

You do know that "schematics" is before "sex" in an alphabetically sorted list, don't you? If it didn't, most guys would never find it. :)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You got me! The first item in "alt.binaries.s* " is "alt.binaries.seduction" Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

Marginally half sane people like us are far more fun. ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Exactly. And we design better stuff, too.

That just stands to reason.

John

age

That's John's reasoning for you. He certainly designs more saleable stuff than I do, but if I was as blindly optimistic about the quality of the stuff I designed I might have been able to sell more of it.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Sounds like a pretty sorry NNTP server. :(

The Usenet Replayer website lets you veiew most alt.binaries.schematics.electronic messages.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wrong, as usual. The way to design great stuff is to be absolutely paranoid about its quality, and to trust nothing... not parts, not datasheets, not PCB fabricators, not code, not observations, not measurements, not people, and especially not yourself.

What, you find that inconsistent with a determination to sell mind-rippingly good, insanely priced, perfect-out-the-door products to the most demanding customers on the planet? Of course you do, you're sane.

John

essage

y,

Agreed. My problem is that you seem to place too much trust in the proposition that you have suceeded; you trust yourself too much.

I don't find any inconsistency in your means to achieve the result you are striving for; I just worry about the level of quality control that lets you be so optimistic about the results you claim to have achieved.

Clearly too sane for my own good.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman