Unable to use xmd or mb-gdb with microblaze cycle accurate simulator target

Subject: Unable to use xmd or mb-gdb with microblaze cycle accurate simulator target Hello: I am trying to use gdb and xmd to connect to the cycle-accurate simulator target on microblaze but have been quite unsuccessful. Here are the steps followed this far:

1) Compiled code with =E2=80=98No optimization=E2=80=99 and =E2=80=98-xlmod= e-executable=E2=80=99 option set in XPS studio 2) Chose =E2=80=98Simulation=E2=80=99 under =E2=80=98Debug->XMD Debug optio= ns=E2=80=99 3) Launched XMD from XPS and not from command line 4) Launched GDB which displayed the source program & 5) Within gdb set these options: a. Target Settings: break point at =E2=80=98main=E2=80=99 and exit an= d also set break points else where within the code b. Connect to target & download c. =E2=80=98Run Method=E2=80=99->=E2=80=99Run=E2=80=99 6) With these options set the =E2=80=98Run=E2=80=99 button was hit and the = program stalled at _start 7) Upon =E2=80=98continue=E2=80=99 xmd crashes with a windows message that = says =E2=80=98xmd encountered a problem=E2=80=A6=E2=80=99

So I figured that since xmd is the interface for gdb I=E2=80=99d try steppi= ng through xmd shell instead. These were the commands tried out manually in xmd shell.

1) connect mb sim 2) xload xmp system.xmp 3) xload mhs system.mhs 4) xload mss system.mss 5) dow executable.elf 6) bps 0x00000bf8 =EF=83=A0 setting software break point 7) con or stp 10 or run ->xmd crashes and windows displays an error message similar to the previous scenario

The system contains a UART peripheral and from what I understand simulation of peripherals is not supported. But could that be the cause of the crash? Shouldn=E2=80=99t it still be possible to step through = the initial set of instructions at least?

Also,I am able to use similar commands to connect and step through the Virtual Platform target and successfully display things on the virtual uart terminal =E2=80=93 unfortunately trace isn=E2=80=99t supported for mic= roblaze VP.

So in summary here are my queries: 1) What am I missing to successfully use xmd/gdb to connect to the cycle-accurate simulator target on microblaze? Is a opb_mdm module required? That isn=E2=80=99t present in my system and even with that I had = no success.

2) Is it possible to obtain a trace/profile information using this approach? What I need is the number of clock cycles consumed.

Any guidance and tips provided would be very much appreciated since it would help me pace up my simulation efforts.

Thanks Prasad Subramanian Graduate Student Utah State University

Reply to
prasad.naga