To our future engineers, smart and otherwise...

If your homework is too tough, and the time just flies away, thinking hard is not enough, click: comp.arch.fpga.

There you find those friendly souls, Austin, Philip, Peter, Ray filling in your mental holes, making problems go away.

But learning is for you to do, even if it hurts the brain. The one that has to learn is you. There's no substitute for pain.

If you want to learn design don't treat homework just as play. Real life is not benign, and you'll have to earn your pay!

sooner or later...

These lines were triggered by the endless dice discussion. Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications

Reply to
Peter Alfke

I expected to see this entitled: "XAPP 998" or something similar...

Jake Janovetz

LOL

Reply to
Vinh Pham

Haha. I think some very busy students could use a Cliff Notes version of your poetry. Don't think they'd have time to read it.

Reply to
Vinh Pham

Some years ago, (before the web) they came out with Cliff Notes on CD-ROM, so convenient for directly copying into papers. I had thought then that it would be time for a system to quickly tell a grader that a paper was copied directly.

Maybe even using FPGA hardware to do it!

-- glen

Reply to
Glen Herrmannsfeldt

it

copied

Wouldn't it be funny if Cliff Notes was the company to provide such an app/service? Heh talk about creating your own market.

Heh that sounds like a much better project than electric dice :_)

Reply to
Vinh Pham

Surely you should have signed it "e e alfke" ??? (With apologies to the other Cummings, of course.)

-- Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Verification * Project Services

Doulos Ltd. Church Hatch, 22 Market Place, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24 1AW, UK Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail: snipped-for-privacy@doulos.com Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573 Web:

The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.

Reply to
Jonathan Bromley

I'm glad I didn't have access to the Inet during my college days, as my efforts in class/homework would not have been as rewarding and industrious.

You wonder if the intellecutal output of men like Augustine or Da Vinci would have been stunted if they had a laptop?

JoeG

Reply to
JoeG

Now, its all about speed Finding the solution by yourself, is rewarding ever but, "will you get the job done by time" I am not suggesting getting solutions are the best way,i am pointing out, the hurdles on your path towards goal may not be totally relevent, eg, there might some glitch in software tools,though your program is correct, what if the tool suggests otherwise, unless you ask someone, you wouldnt know. There I belive Inet is much rewarding. bye RAm

Reply to
ram

Followup to: By author: JoeG In newsgroup: comp.arch.fpga

I *am* glad that I had access to the Internet at my university; it was both a great study tool and provided the opportunity for branching out in areas I would otherwise never have expected -- this is how I got involved with Linux, back when noone had heard of it.

Like anything else it can be abused. Students asking people to do their homework for them figured back then... these days they tend to do it from anonymous yahoo accounts, however, which means that it's not just ignorance, but that they know they're cheating.

-hpa

--
 at work,  in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.

Like many oldtimers I also never had a PC till way after starting work. I am hoping that when I send my kids off to school in a few years that they never see a darn pc at all, maybe they might have an accredited Mathematics & Science teacher instead, but I don't expect too much these days compared to my own fortunate education.

By the way does anybody graduate from college these days without having a PC forced on them and if so could they get a job based on more limited (selective) computer exp ie a nice old mainframe or workstations in modern talk?

johnjaksonATusaDOTcom

Reply to
john jakson