Need a SPI 4?

Hi I am working on 10 Gb Ethernet project. I am going to use a NIOS II in a Stratix II or a Stratix GX. I don't kno yet. I have seen 2 development boards for this high bandwith. Normally, the interface SPI (System Packet Interface) is used between th fpga and a NPU.

I don't use a NPU but a NIOS II in the fpga! So I think I can choose a development board whose within the SPI is no supported.

Are you agree with that?

Reply to
freechip

Yes. I know from experience that it is possible to implement 10GbE interfaces without SPI-4.

If *I* was designing a 10GbE board, I would use an XFP, a 10GbE SERDES with an XSBI to an FPGA, and avoid the MSA-300 connector that the evaluation boards you mentioned in another thread use. That's me though; your needs may be totally different.

MSA-300 would have been a good solution four to five years ago (when

10GbE was young), and may still be a good solution if you don't feel confident working with 10Gb/s serial signals on your board.

Yet another option to consider is a XAUI (since this is supported by a fewl FPGA families without needing an external SERDES), however my reading of the market is that XFP will completely replace XAUI.

BTW, how do you expect a NIOS II to be able to keep up with sending or receiving almost 30 million packets per second?

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman