How to set 'set up time' in a Quartus Tool for a PCI Device

Hi all, I have a small clarification. I am using Quartus 2 Tool for Synthesis and Place and route of a PCI System. I want to know if we can set some options for set up time for PCI Clock Seperately. Thanks Naveen

Reply to
naveen

You'll need to set Tsu constraints on your inputs (3 ns for 66 MHz PCI), Tco constraints on your outputs (6 ns for 66 MHz PCI) and a clock period (Fmax) constraint on your clock (66.66 MHz I think for 66 MHz PCI).

At least that's the high-level view of the constraints. I believe it is possible to relax the Tsu and Tco constraints on some paths by inserting wait states, but I'm not an expert on PCI cores.

You can set pretty much as complicated a set of constraints as you'd like in Quartus. Setting a Tsu constraint on an IO will constrain all paths from that IO to all reachable registers. Setting a "point-to-point" Tsu constraint on a source IO and a destination register constraints only the paths between the two.

33 MHz will be a lot easier to get working than 66 MHz if you're doing this from scratch. I don't recall the precise constraints for 33 off the top of my head though.

Vaughn Altera

Reply to
Vaughn Betz

Tsu 7 ns, Tco 11 nS, Clk 33 MHz

As you said, easy enough to meet as you can register a lot of the signals in, it's only a few of the controls which are critical.

Nial

------------------------------------------------ Nial Stewart Developments Ltd FPGA and High Speed Digital Design

Nial Stewart