Fixed point number hardware implementation

of

coefficients

the

Target.

packages?

well

floating

wish.

signal

(for

won't

mean

ideally

coefficients

Well, Yes I do understand the signal processing (am not an expert thought but I've already implemented the design in SIMULINK. it's a butterwort lowpass filter which can be used in a digital touch tone receiver. with th specs: Fc=852Hz, F2(stop-band freq = 2000Hz) Fs=8000Hz and S Attenuation>=15dB. I have already implemented it in SIMULINK using FDA too and generated HDL code as well. I have also implemented the DF-II block diagram in simulink after manually calculating the coefficients values and the difference equation. So, now I am trying to implement this block diagram for the filter in VHDL and I already know the values of coefficients and input can be anything. Now, I need to implement this using fixed-point arithematic. That's what I am trying to implement. Ofcourse I am looking for simulation at the moment but once I get the simulation right, I can implement it on FPGA. In short, if you meant, I need to do MATLAB implementation first, then as I've said earlier, I've done that.

Thanks, Kami

Reply to
kami

questio=

Hi KJ, I've visited the site VHDL.org and read the following:

and

and i think the stuff on Accelera website is also the same apart from som nice powerpoint presentations. I could understand the logic behind these packages and they sounds reall very good (especially in my case) I mean positive and negative indices hav been used to differentiate the integer and fractional part. That's great But, I can't understand how to compile and add these packages to m library? Do I need to use Modelsim for this purpose or Xilinx? I mean how to compile it? Do I need to copy the .vhdl files of thos packages in the IEEE folder or vhdl source folder where some othe libraries are or what? I'll be very thankful if you could give me a direction at least, Thanks, kami

Reply to
kami

If you haven't simulated the filter in fixed point arithmetic, then you are not ready to implement the filter in VHDL. Did I understand you correctly?

When you want to design a real filter instead of a paper filter you have to pick additional parameters like number of bits in the coefficients, the data path and any retained accumulators. These decisions all affect the accuracy of your filter and need to be tested in the simulator before you try to implement it is an HDL. Then the VHDL step is just a matter of coding what you already know works.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

If I recall correctly, they expect to be compiled into an 'ieee_proposed' library.

Depends what your purpose is. Modelsim is used for simulation, Xilinx is a big company that sells FPGAs.

Put the source files wherever you want to. Then compile those files. If you don't know how to do that then perhaps you need to understand what tool you're using first and should go to the manual for that first.

Head in the direction of the manuals for the software you are using.

KJ

Reply to
KJ