division

hello there
i am relatively new to VHDL..this might sound simple
any ideas how to carry out division (floating point) in VHDL??

Re: division
remember log division from schoool, now try that in base 2!

Re: division

Yes.
And then develop a hardware design that can do that...

When this is done, it's a small step to describe it in VHDL.

Regards,
Mario

Digital Force / Mario Trams       snipped-for-privacy@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Re: division
Sorry I meant LONG division not LOG

hope this helps

Re: division

For a few seconds I considered that you meant subtracting logs to do
division.  But then I figured it out.  I don't think subtracting logs and
then antilog is likely to be a very good way in FPGA.

-- glen

Re: division
In the 'sixties, the Wang calculators ( with Nixie-tube read-out) did
just that. I think they used a very efficient algorithm for log and antilog
Peter Alfke