Re: Starter Question and Opinion on VHDL

A follow up:

Someone sent this solution to me and said it would provide no assymetrical delays and would be better than a long elsif chain. Does anyone else have any experience with this? It seems to me that a good fitter would render the same solution.

Hi,

A clean way of doing this is:

CASE fastclkcnt IS WHEN 2 =>

mrasnext

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

"Better" is a style choice. The "assymetrical delays" (sic) is a canard caused by the respondent's lack of understanding of VHDL signal assignment, I suspect. The meaning of the VHDL is the same in both cases. As you say, a good synthesis tool should give the same results for both (it's not really a "fitter" problem). Finally, any design that relies on symmetry of delay through synthesised asynchronous logic deserves to fail.

-- Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Verification * Project Services

Doulos Ltd. Church Hatch, 22 Market Place, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24 1AW, UK Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail: snipped-for-privacy@doulos.com Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573 Web:

The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.

Reply to
Jonathan Bromley