Altera Equiv.

I have a question for those experienced with Altera devices. Could someone please identify (roughly) the Brand A equivilents of these brand X parts:

CoolRunner II Spartan 3/3e Virtex II

I am not trying to be a flame baiter, but I would really like to hear other people's thoughts of Altera's equivlents. I used to use the Altera CPLD (MAX7000) a long time ago and had a good experience. What are the FPGA devices like.

Thanks again.

-Eli

Reply to
Eli Hughes

Atmel have ATF150xASL, that have wider Vcc, but lower Speeds. Their new ATF1502BE series, is more closely equivalent to the XCR2 family.

Xilinx have larger devices in both series.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I believe the cross-overs would be something like this, although I could be mistaken.

CoolRunnerII - MAXII Plus Spartan3/3e - Cyclone/CycloneII VirtexII - Stratix/StratixII

I've used both the Virtex II Pro and the Stratix Series devices, and for any of my applications both would have worked. Each mfg has different strengths in each category; but I haven't found (doesn't mean there isn't) any one convincing spec that puts one so much above the other. There have been past posts (ad nauseam) dealing with the topic of whose FPGA rules the world. Some of it is pride, some ignorance, some just marketing magic. Bottom line is both can probably get you where you want to go.

I primarily use Altera because the company I work for happened to choose them as a preferred vendor. Our typical applications deal with video processing, and either mfg can doubtless play strong in this arena.

The MAXII Plus devices can be clocked at impressive speeds for a PLD, and quite inexpensive in quantity.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

H iRob,

Just a quick correction -- our CPLD is MAX II, which is a follow on to our MAX family of CPLDs (MAX7000 and MAX3000 series). Not to be confused with MaxPlus II, which was the design software that preceded Quartus.

There's tons of info on these families available on our website

And you can download a free copy of Quartus II Web Edition to try them out.

Regards,

Paul Leventis Altera Corp.

Reply to
Paul Leventis

Sorry, my mistake. I should have known better--I just used a MAXII part in a design :)

Reply to
Rob

MaxII is not really a follow-up of MAX7000 or the MAX3000A family. One should call this a Mini-Cyclone FPGA.

The equivalent of Coolrunner-II is Atmel's ATF15xxBE family. they have the best low volume pricing; Checkout Digikey

Atmel_PLDs_Rock