ac adapter

I have an electric dog fence. We had an electrical storm the other night, and the next day the dog fence was not working. After some trouble shooting, I determined the problem was fortunately not the transmitter, but the AC adapter. My wife was going out and I sent her to Radio Shack with the broken AC adapter and with the mission to look for a replacement. The old adapter has an output on 12 Volts AC and

200 mA. I told her to look for an exact match, but since I knew that wasn't likely I told her something will less Voltage or Amperage might work. Well the fellow at Radio Shack told her I was wrong, and that less amperage was bad and could damage the transmitter, but more amperage would be fine. He convinced her to buy an adapter with a 800 mA output. So she brought it home and after being plugged for a matter of seconds, the transmitter was fried.

I call Radio Shack and the guy insists that the 800 mA should not have been a problem and it was something else that caused a problem.

Is he right? That doesn't make sense to me. To me more amperage would a bad thing. But I am not an electrical engineer. So if anyone could help me out here and tell me who is right, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Reply to
jmeich80

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

Yes! The most important thing is that the output voltage of the new AC adapter is the same as the output voltage of the old one.

The old one could deliver 200 mA; that obviously was sufficient for the proper operation of the transmitter which draws just the current it needs.

The new AC adapter is able to deliver 800 mA. That doesn't matter: your transmitter will still draw the current it needs ...

HTH

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

He seems right to me. Probably what happened is that the storm DID damage the transmitter and either it or the storm then/also fried the adapter. The new adapter was more powerful, leaving the transmitter as the weak link, so it then smoked.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT