Electric fence for dogs

In the last time I am having some difficulties with dogs letting some "presents" on my ground.

From a past project, I have got left some 5 kV 1.5W dc-dc converters (spellman MM5p1.5) and I was planning to use them to power an electric fence.

I see several solutions for the connection to the fence:

1:

+5kV----R----*-------fence | C | gnd----------*-------gnd

With a sufficiently high resistor, I could have a control on the energy that might be delivered.

2: Same, without the cap, with the resistor providing some limiting.

3: Direct connection to the fence, and rely on the 0.3 mA limit of the converter.

Any thoughts on pros / cons of these solutions? In #1, what would be a safe level of energy stored to avoid fatal injuries to a dog (or person)? Any general ideas?

Thank you for your time!

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

From memory, the allowed leakage from AC mains for hospital equipment with 'direct connection' to patients is 10uA

Your PS's deliver 5kV 1.5W steady state, which implies 300uA limit, however, there is a filter cap whcih will deliver much more than that for a short duration.

Again from memory, unless the dog/person has heart trouble less than

100uA will not be lethal, but still be felt.

Now how many joules? Don't remember, should be on the net somewhere.

Now for practicalities, *if* anything goes wrong, *and* you have a home-made deterrent, you will probably be culpable.

Instead, if you used a commercially available 'lectric fence; culpability will probably be trnsferred to the manufacturer, and you can justify that you used it in 'good faith' not expecting a bad outcome.

I'm a firm believer in 'using what you have' and following the challenge of doing it yourself. But, in this case I'd recommend avoiding ptotential litigation.

Another alternative is a motion detector with SOUND attached.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Imagine a toddler running into this fence, and then imagine one's liability.

Analyze the problem:

Dogs poop on your lawn. You want to stop that. Two types of dogs do this:

  1. Stray dogs
  2. Dogs with careless/thoughtless owners.

The solution to 2 that would not harm toddlers would be an electric fence some 4 feet off the ground.

But I like the motion detector idea. That could take care of all dogs. Here, half the population has lawn sprinklers. Hook a motion detector to a sprinkler valve and scare/soak the miscreant. If some yahoo is actually walking the dog (usually with a Flexi so the owner can remain on the sidewalk/at curbside while the dog commits his depredations), then hook the motion detector to a security cam (preferably with a dazzling light flash to alert the owner).

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Scatter a few blocks of Ex-Lax laxative choccolate around the target area.

Dogs gastric system has a fairly fast transit time, so the laxative will be just about hitting the sides as the dog walker makes it home - just in time for the dog to produce a big brown bow-wave across the living room carpet.

Reply to
Ian Field

Forget the fence, there are much more benign alternatives. Here is just one example:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

example:

Hey, Fred! Thanks for the link... just what I need for my lawn. Due to the weird weather, slow to get really hot, I'm having trouble getting even Hybrid Bermuda to start... plus the birds eat the seeds as fast as I can spread them :-( ...Jim Thompson

chocolate is toxic to dogs.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Would have been better to not have cut that element of *his* post out, you friggin idiot.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

example:

I usually snip the links.

Hahahaha... did you see the pictures!?

I like the Col-BEAR!

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Jobs a good un then innit.

Reply to
Ian Field

I will consider buying a commercial device. However, let's explore this a bit further, just for fun:

An interesting link (pun intended)

From other sites (e.g.

it seems that aprox. 10 J may be the order of magnitude required for this. At 5 kV, this means 900 nF, which means quite a lot of lumped capacitance for option #1 (the fence will give roughly 10 pF/m, and there will at most

100 m).

Otoh, wikipedia talks about 100 J used for defibrillation

In this context, 10 J do not look so harmless...

I will dig a little bit further, but comments are welcome!

Pere

Reply to
o pere o

"Ian Field" wrote in news:DtfJr.559598$ snipped-for-privacy@fx23.am:

Only if they eat enough of it. some dogs can eat a whole bar and not be bothered.

I'd rig a motion sensor to the lawn sprinkler system,or a button you can push to do it yourself. Every time they come to your yard,the sprinklers turn on,repelling them. Nobody wants a wet dog. Eventually,they'll avoid your yard altogether. If you could rig the sprinklers to spray water containing a dye,it would be even better.Then when the pet owner comes to bitch about being dyed,you can lay into him about his dog's crap.

also,setting up a video camera to record the owner vandalizing your property with dog crap gives you legal evidence,maybe you can bill them for cleanup,have them visited by police for vandalism. Or you can send them a copy of the video (or a still frame pic )and tell them it BETTER stop,that you know who is leaving their dog's crap in your yard and you don't like it. At the least,it identifies the culprit so you can return their "property" to them;on their car door handles,door step,etc.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

There's a youtube clip floating about somewhere: some bloke got fed up with all the night prowling tomcats spraying on his car.

He rigged up a high pressure water jet operated by a PIR & a car central locking solenoid (same rig activated a night vision camcorder).

Reply to
Ian Field

I can not eat a chocolate fudgesicle around my dog and get away with it.

I give her a little and let her lick the stick ;)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

example:

Thanks - amusing pictures! I didn't follow the link either, until I read your post.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr