Which micro controller?

Hi everybody!!
I'm a spanish strudent on Systems Engineerering, and I'm very interested
on microcontrollers and its applications. In my degree I've been working
with two types of them, a Spartan FPGA and a Motorola MC68HC11
microcontroller.
I also know that is usual to use PICs as small microcontrollers.

But a question is rounding on my mind, because I don't undestand
completely which are the differences between them, apart of size.

May anybody explain me which are them at an internal level?, that is,
whitch are more powerful?, which has the bigger RAM memory...

Thanks in advance!

Site Timeline