which 8-bit micro

I'm need a micro with following requirements: UART - RS485 inputs = 4 outputs = 4 Also need to drive a seven segment LED or dot matrix.

Its for an remote operator station and the quantity is quite small, but may go to 1000 units over time.

Its been awhile since my last project, so I'm not sure whats available today. Would prefer an "all-on-board" chip if possible. Cost is a consideration but not overriding.

KP

Reply to
Kim

A bit more information would help.

Any 8-bit processor currently available will do this job.

Do you need to be battery operated ? Do you need a single chip solution ? Do you have any idea what you really want ?? Do you need the lowest cost, size, code density, Ram requirements ??

I am familiar with PIC, 8051, ( many manufactures ) and Motorola 8-bitters.

Any of these will do this job !

Last question, do you want to do this yourself or are you looking for an off the shelf product, or a consultant to build/program this for you ??

Kim wrote:

Reply to
hamilton

Hi, any bottom end micro should do, Look at PIC16f676 or AT90S2313.

Reply to
CBarn24050

Many 8 bit micro's will work but the PIC's have way more support out there, hands down!

--
Luhan Monat, "LuhanKnows" At 'Yahoo' dot 'Com'
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CBarn24050) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m19.aol.com:

Why recommend the 16x series? The 18x series are similarly priced and do

*not* suffer the register banking hell of the 16x.
--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

Hi Mark, not really a recomendation just a start point. The RS cataloge shows the cheapest 18 series as 5 times more than the 16f676.

Reply to
CBarn24050

You don't have to worry about register banking with most C compilers. (The C compiler I use for the small PIC's takes care of that)

Reply to
Mark

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CBarn24050) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m14.aol.com:

Digi-key:

---------

16F676 $2.28/ea --> 1k words program, 64 bytes RAM 18F1220 4.58/ea --> 2k " " 256 " "

At about double the cost I'd say double the program size and 4x the RAM size is well worth it even if you ignore how much nicer the 18F series are to work with.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

"Mark" wrote in news:pMfKb.1193$k snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

On a 1k word part (16f676), even I would have trouble justifying C. PIC assy. is very simple and in 1k you're not likely to make too much of a mess. Besides, I write assy. like C: functions with a calling convention etc. I'll bet the C compilers can do a better job with the 18F than they do with the 16F too.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

sorry Mark, I don't live in America.

Reply to
CBarn24050

I've used the Atmel AVR family extensively. Great micros! The AT90S2313 should fit the bill.

There's a great little module called the 'FlexMini' at

Mark

Reply to
Mark Watson

Mike Harding wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't disagree, but when the C language must mutate too much to be workable on the small micro like 1k word 12 and 16 series PICs I'd just rather write it in assy. I currently have a very simple little test board that excercises some pins that connect to the device under test. The code could be written in C in probable 10% fewer lines than I did it in assy. But then I'd need to get the compiler, assemblers are usually free, build it, all for no real gain.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CBarn24050) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m03.aol.com:

You sure do trim an awful lot from your replies (like 100% of them).

Using AOL made me think you did. Anyhow, Digi-key is international, shipping to 100 countries world wide. Go here:

and see if you're country is one of the one with a direct presence. If so, I think you will appreciate digi-keys simplicity (although the prices aren't the lowest).

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

I'd have to pay shipping as well, and no 30 day credit. I'll stick with what I have thanks.

Reply to
CBarn24050

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CBarn24050) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com:

I'd like to know how you get parts without paying for shipping. I have to pay for shipping but it's still a good deal.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

Quite common in the UK for distributors to waive shipping over a certain value (often as low as £25).

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Here's Farnell UK's shipping policy:

"Free next day delivery as standard for orders placed before 8.00pm"

"No minimum order value* As an account customer you can order any item, regardless of its price, without being penalised with a minimum order value.

*A £10 minimum order value applies for credit card orders."

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
[...]

Actually a compiler can simplify that for you here, too. The PIC C compiler I use (CCS) will inline functions that are called from one place, saving the miniscule stack (2 or 8 entries for the 12- or

14-bit cores) provided by the PIC. My code tends to be a collection of small routines. the compiler strings them into one monlithic beast at link time.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

with

Sounds great. But as there are no free lunches, they have high enough component pricing to cover these... Right?

Regards Pygmi

Reply to
Pygmi

On a couple of items I checked, they seem to be a fair bit (20%-30%) cheaper than Digikey (not that that's much of a recommendation), despite the US dollar's shrinking, freefall, plummeting, meltdown, etc. OTOH, they were almost double the price of a "real" US distributor (Avnet) for the same part, quantity and manufacturer.