Re: which CPU are you using?
Atmel AT89C2051 for the small stuff
Toshiba TMP95C265 for the big stuff

John

Re: which CPU are you using?

pic16 series and rabbit semiconductor

marans

Re: which CPU are you using?
89C51 variants from Atmel, Maxim, Philips, SiliconLabs, Winbond, et al.
Looking at ARMs from Philips, Atmel, STm, Analog devices et al.
-jg

Re: which CPU are you using?

ditto.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

nobody seems to be using TI's MSP430

Any reasons?

martin

 Serious error.
   All shortcuts have disappeared.
      Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Re: which CPU are you using?

I'm sure the MSP430 is widely used. It very well might be that not
everyone cares to report the MCU's they use. Probably because the job
defines which MCU fit's the bill best. Having experinence with a given
MCU helps, but only to the extent of favouring a device among similar
ones. So, if you have a good reason to use the MSP430 go for it.

I often use the Renesas M16C familly, Motorla ColdFires, PICs.

HTH

Markus

Re: which CPU are you using?
As far as real work goes, Z80. I've been supporting this system for 10 years
now. The Boss keeps talking about a 2nd generation system, but after 10 years
of talk, I'll believe it when I see it. I've already suggested using the eZ80
but he seems fixated on using a PDA as the core of the next system. I still
have to tell him my reasons for not using a PDA.

For play, I have eval boards for PIC, AVR, eZ8, and 8051. I need to spend more
time playing with them. I'm still looking around for my wire-wrap tool and a
pack of LEDs I bought. And I suppose there's the 68K-based Dragonball in my
Palm IIIc but I haven't done anything low level in that.

Re: which CPU are you using?

For one, they stop making them on the fickle winds of various market pressures
and getting them then will be 'difficult.'

Jon

Re: which CPU are you using?

Certainly one of my reasons. Not long ago, he was bemoaning how some of the
peripherals that we use kept changing on us and how we should make our own
version. For some reason, he has forgotten all about that. I think it's
something else that's driving him to consider PDAs. Probably that they look
cool.  :-P

Re: which CPU are you using?

Hmmm, but you are sure your real name is not Dilbert right?

Markus

Re: which CPU are you using?
years
years
eZ80
still
more
my
If you like the Z80 as I do, then I'm surprised you have not discovered
Toshiba's
tlcs900 family, in particular, the TMP95C265, which is a 32bit version of
the
Z80 with the same register set and instructions extended to 32 bits.

Its real fun to program in assembler and so easy compared to many modern
cpu's!
Remember  ld a,(hl), well now its ld a,(xhl) and so on. Very easy to port
existing
Z80 code to.

John

Re: which CPU are you using?

Ah. I actually have stuff here on that chip. Unfortunately, the doc seems to
consist of badly scanned manual pages and is painful for me to read. I seem to
recall it was used in SNK's NeoGeo Pocket Color handheld game system. I hadn't
noticed the similarities between the TLCS900 and Z80.

I'd probably stick to Zilog since if I'm not happy I can drive over and yell at
them.  :-)

Re: which CPU are you using?
seem to
hadn't
yell at

Ok, but if you look on Toshiba's website there's plenty
of high quality documentation!

Re: which CPU are you using?

Thanks for the tip. I'll visit their site again and browse.

Re: which CPU are you using?

Or because competition reads these groups and may like to have any insights they
can get about next gen developments going on.

Yes, the choice turns readily on a variety of priorities, few of which are all
that widely shared.  Some folks may have 2nd sourcing as uppermost, pruning away
many excellent alternatives.  Some folks may have low cost as uppermost, again
pruning away many other choices.  Or power consumption, or size, or temperature
range, etc.

When a question is dropped that just asks 'what cpu?' how are you supposed to
answer that without any idea what the point is?  Tabulation in a newsgroup of
those choosing to answer??

Yup.

Jon

Site Timeline