Reply to
Mark Jones

Rabbit

Brian Murtha

"dasdd" schreef in bericht news:cjlu4j$739$ snipped-for-privacy@news.yaako.com...

Seriously contemplating 68HC908GB60...

Reply to
WaldemarIII

Atmel AT89C2051 for the small stuff Toshiba TMP95C265 for the big stuff

John

Reply to
John Dyer

pic16 series and rabbit semiconductor

marans

Reply to
tamilmaran s

89C51 variants from Atmel, Maxim, Philips, SiliconLabs, Winbond, et al. Looking at ARMs from Philips, Atmel, STm, Analog devices et al.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Jim Granville schrieb:

ditto.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

nobody seems to be using TI's MSP430

Any reasons?

martin

Serious error. All shortcuts have disappeared. Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Reply to
martin griffith

I'm sure the MSP430 is widely used. It very well might be that not everyone cares to report the MCU's they use. Probably because the job defines which MCU fit's the bill best. Having experinence with a given MCU helps, but only to the extent of favouring a device among similar ones. So, if you have a good reason to use the MSP430 go for it.

I often use the Renesas M16C familly, Motorla ColdFires, PICs.

HTH

Markus

Reply to
Markus Zingg

As far as real work goes, Z80. I've been supporting this system for 10 years now. The Boss keeps talking about a 2nd generation system, but after 10 years of talk, I'll believe it when I see it. I've already suggested using the eZ80 but he seems fixated on using a PDA as the core of the next system. I still have to tell him my reasons for not using a PDA.

For play, I have eval boards for PIC, AVR, eZ8, and 8051. I need to spend more time playing with them. I'm still looking around for my wire-wrap tool and a pack of LEDs I bought. And I suppose there's the 68K-based Dragonball in my Palm IIIc but I haven't done anything low level in that.

Reply to
Gary Kato

For one, they stop making them on the fickle winds of various market pressures and getting them then will be 'difficult.'

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Or because competition reads these groups and may like to have any insights they can get about next gen developments going on.

Yes, the choice turns readily on a variety of priorities, few of which are all that widely shared. Some folks may have 2nd sourcing as uppermost, pruning away many excellent alternatives. Some folks may have low cost as uppermost, again pruning away many other choices. Or power consumption, or size, or temperature range, etc.

When a question is dropped that just asks 'what cpu?' how are you supposed to answer that without any idea what the point is? Tabulation in a newsgroup of those choosing to answer??

Yup.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

This week I am mostly using MSP430F44X.

--
Mike
Reply to

years

years

eZ80

still

more

my

If you like the Z80 as I do, then I'm surprised you have not discovered Toshiba's tlcs900 family, in particular, the TMP95C265, which is a 32bit version of the Z80 with the same register set and instructions extended to 32 bits.

Its real fun to program in assembler and so easy compared to many modern cpu's! Remember ld a,(hl), well now its ld a,(xhl) and so on. Very easy to port existing Z80 code to.

John

Reply to
John Dyer

Ah. I actually have stuff here on that chip. Unfortunately, the doc seems to consist of badly scanned manual pages and is painful for me to read. I seem to recall it was used in SNK's NeoGeo Pocket Color handheld game system. I hadn't noticed the similarities between the TLCS900 and Z80.

I'd probably stick to Zilog since if I'm not happy I can drive over and yell at them. :-)

Reply to
Gary Kato

Certainly one of my reasons. Not long ago, he was bemoaning how some of the peripherals that we use kept changing on us and how we should make our own version. For some reason, he has forgotten all about that. I think it's something else that's driving him to consider PDAs. Probably that they look cool. :-P

Reply to
Gary Kato

8052 PSoC AM186ER
Reply to
Neil Kurzman

seem to

hadn't

yell at

Ok, but if you look on Toshiba's website there's plenty of high quality documentation!

Reply to
John Dyer