Using LCD panel

I found an ancient piece of hardware. An old notebook with a 10" 800x600 LCD. Is it hard to drive a notebook LCD with some SBC or FPGA? Are there standards for this?

Atilla

Reply to
atilla

It is not hard to drive the notebook LCD with the notebook. The standards for this are keyboard, mouse, Ethernet, LPT, COM and USB.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Most notebook have a VLSI chip with the LCD controller on it.

With out the chips on the mother board, you may never be able to drive that LCD display.

So to answer you question, it depends.

It depends more on your ability then the LCD display itself.

Good Luck, you will need it.

don

PS: If you want a real answer, please post the model number of the laptop and the part number of the LCD display.

Reply to
don

About the same as the standard Microsoft Word File format.

You will have to see if you can find the datasheet for the LCD in question as the models change every 3 months as well as the connectors and signalling methods.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

The fact that you're asking this question already means that it'll almost certainly be too hard for you right now.

Not really.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

It may be easier to try to identify the LCD controller chip on the motherboard, and then find the data sheet for that - with a goal to either running the controller chip from something other than the computer, or replacing the controller chip with an FPGA possibly plus appropriate drivers. Trying to identify chips on the back of the LCD panel and look up their data sheets may also be an option.

Of course none of this is economical compared to buying something with a documented driver solution.

Reply to
cs_posting

Well, that's overstating it a *bit*. The panel will be either parallel or LVDS interface, and in this vintage almost certainly parallel. Assuming the notebook still works, it would not be terribly onerous to scope out the signals and determine the refresh timing and supply voltage. The big question (besides the OP's ability level) being - why?

Reply to
larwe

That is if they can determine the connector and which is pin 1, the=20 bigger problem will be trying to dtermine without a datasheet which of the many types of connector it is, having seen around that time nearly every panel have a different connector.

--=20 Paul Carpenter | snipped-for-privacy@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk PC Services Timing Diagram Font GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny For those web sites you hate

Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Why do they need to care? They have one (count'em) panels. They have one (count'em) notebook computers. They cut the cable or desolder the connector off the cable. Tadaa!

Reply to
larwe

Thanks for all the replies, I cannot give any more deatils atm. because it is in my family's house, not with me. As far as I understand, hacking something together is very hard so instead of recycling the panel, I should focus on recycling the whole machine.

atilla

Reply to
atilla