UK Electronics publication

I've moved jobs a year or so ago and working from home.  I've lost touch of
the best magazines for electronic design engineers.  Can someone recommend a
few?

Many thanks in advance.

Re: UK Electronics publication

Electronics World is my particular favourite. Well worth a look at.

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.

Re: UK Electronics publication

Many thanks.

This is a subscription magazine and whilst it is very good I was actually
thinking of the freebie ones I used to get.

Re: UK Electronics publication

All the free ones are available via the Web: Electronics Weekly, EDN, EE
Times, etc.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Re: UK Electronics publication

In any case, EW has gone seriously downhill in the last few years, and
is now filled with readers' letters, circuit "ideas" and pseudoscience.
I cancelled my order with the newsagent a few months ago.

Paul Burke

Re: UK Electronics publication

Indeed even I had 4 letters published and a circuit (aug 2004) over the
last year or so. "I wouldn't belong to a club that allowed me as a
member:-)

EW is really off the deep end now. It puts complete and utter nonsense
as main feature articles. i.e. the one about electro-gravity. It was so
out to lunch that is was pointless complaining.

Kevin Aylward
snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk
http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Re: UK Electronics publication

I used to like Elektor Electronics, but the non release of prpohram code is
annoying.
http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk /

I have a subscription to circuilt cellar in the US.
http://www.circuitcellar.com /

It is excellent, has nice projects and keeps upto date on new releases.

In addition, even including overseas poistage costs, it still works oout at
30 for the year, and ideal christmas 'Gift'.

Vincent

Re: UK Electronics publication
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:34:29 +0100, the renowned Paul Burke

It keeps getting skinnier too. It's available at the newstands here,
but at C$11 plus tax per issue, I tend to just leaf through it. Since
they stopped people from going into the bookstore coffee shop with
unpaid for magazines, I read a lot less of it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: UK Electronics publication
writes

Just don't try building projects from their circuit diagrams if you
expect them to work as described... Maybe in these days of CAD and net
lists it has improved in that respect at least. But it is pretty much
like a comic now.

Be fair. Even in the 70's it's predecessor WW required the editor to not
believe in relativity and published plenty of lunatic fringe electronic
engineers against Einstein articles. To that extent little has changed
they have just gone even further into wacky pseudo science. Unclear to
me how that it helps to sell the magazine or maintain its once fine
reputation.

Aimed mainly at hobby electronics folk EPE from Wimborne press sometimes
has interesting articles in it, worth browsing in the newsagent to see
if it is a good one or not. Their article on the rebuilding of the
Turing Bombe and Colossus for the history of computing was excellent.

Elector sometimes has interesting articles too. YMMV

Martin Brown

Re: UK Electronics publication
I read in sci.electronics.design that Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi
Electronics publication', on Thu, 16 Sep 2004:

But it's 90% PIC still, isn't it?
Re: UK Electronics publication
What happened to ETI ?

Steve

Re: UK Electronics publication

Occasionally EPE does seem to have some reasonable articles
and projects, but yes it is very PIC-centric. Some of the
projects are a bit too basic ( PIC powered egg timer et al ).
Elektor Electronics has better projects and a better spread
of micros.

Colin

Re: UK Electronics publication

[clip]

You're missing out!.
I found this months issue worth it, for the articles by Cyril Bateman and
Ian Hickman.
I'd also think that most magazines couldn't survive without their circuit
ideas sections. (I think EDN even admit it somewhere on their website.)
But, I agree many of the "ideas"  that turn  up are really grade #1, naff).

regards
john

Re: UK Electronics publication
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:07:40 +0100, Paul Burridge

Is it still around ?

I cancelled my subscription about the time they changed the name from
Wireless World to Electronics World :-)

Paul

Re: UK Electronics publication

Just at the time when the new radio technologies for data transmissions between
devices was being called 'wireless'.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
Re: UK Electronics publication

I'm an embedded software guy, so what works for me might not work for
you. I am also not sure where you're posting from, which can have some
influence.  However:

I like Electronic Design Europe. I used to much prefer the US edition, but
they decided to stop doing subs for that in the UK so we now get a
rather thinner magazine :(

I find IEE Review and IEEE Spectrum are good overviews of what's going
on round the industry generally, although Spectrum's getting a bit
political/ecological tan teechnological these days.

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

Site Timeline