UART Header

I'm still a very beginner stages of understanding hardware so please feel free to correct me if I use any wrong terminology throughout my post.

I'm working on a development board that has 3-pins for the UART. From left to right, these pins are, RX GND TX. I'm not sure if that is a general layout but what I was trying to find was a 3-pin header with a DB9 connector on the other end, to avoid having to wire wrap the pins. This way, I can take the connector on and off with ease. Besides, it looks more professional :-). My Google searches have come up short so I'm convinced I'm the first one to ever need this ;-), I'm looking for something that doesn't exist or I'm using the wrong terminology.

I appreciate any advice you can give me and thank you in advance.

-- Sean "Propinquity avails itself only in the amusements involving coverlets of equine quadrabases"

Reply to
Fao, Sean

On the development board side, perhaps a crimped header. If you can find one to salvage then you might be able to just get the crimp pins. Otherwise, a kit like WM9803-ND (about $40 at

might come in handy. That general type would probably work but make sure you check whether the pins are .1 or .156 centers.

On the PC side, something like 6709F-ND (also digikey).

I'm pretty sure that most Radio Shacks carry the 9-pin crimp-on connector. Have not seen the 3-up straight line connectors there.

I may be wrong but I think that the reason you didn't find any off-the-shelf like this is that there are so many permutations that they're either custom made, for onsie-twosie, or ordered specifically for a particular product.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I don't believe you will find such a cable in any shop :-(

However, you should be able to get a connector with cables crimped to it. So, you only have to solder the DB9 connector (which is quite easy). This is what I have done several times ;-)

Looks like this:

This picture is from a German mail order company, but you should be able to get similar cables in other countries.

/Jan-Hinnerk

Reply to
Jan-Hinnerk Reichert

For years I've used the 'premade' DB25( and DB9) connector to 10 pin IDC found on almost every PC since the XT days.These plug into the 'super-I/O card' on 286,386,486s.When RS232 went fron 25 pins to 9, it was an easy 'upgrade',just replace the cable/connector assembly. From a manufacturing point, the 10 pin header on the 'board' is phyically strong.3 pins in a row is Ok for a few times,but... As well,those extra pins allow for 'other' signals to easily be added to your board. It doesn't take up that much more real estate either. fwiw jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

Is there anything remotely like a standard for the pin out of this 10 pin connector? I seem to recall that not all connector cables are/were the same. But then I expect there may have been a lot of consolidation since the days of 386's and the super IO cards. I am using a 10 pin header on our boards and I would like to match the pinout of the current PC connector cables if there is a semi-standard. I know that some mother boards still use a cable for the second COM port since the put a video connector where it would be in the rear panel block of IOs.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Sorry for being sarcastic, but I would suggest rethinking your interest in embedded system design if making a 3 wire cable with a soldering iron, wires and ordinary connector is beyond your skills.

I am quite serious on this. Embedded design IS hardware (and firm-/software of course).

Greg

Reply to
Grzegorz Mazur

Don't mind working with my hands at all. I've just just found what I needed in a pile of junk electronic parts and built the cable. It wasn't the complexity of the project but as crazy as this may sound, I'm watching my spending so closely right now that I couldn't afford even a $30 crimper. Luckily, I found one I could use.

-- Sean "Propinquity avails itself only in the amusements involving coverlets of equine quadrabases"

Reply to
Fao, Sean

I appreciate your advice. I stumbled on to some junk parts I could use and have built my cable. Just afterwords, I read your message and realized that you had suggested exactly what I had found. For what it's worth, it worked great :-).

Thanks again,

-- Sean "Pulchritude possesses solely cutaneous profundity"

Reply to
Fao, Sean