Pipeline stages of the Multiplier core (ISE Coregen)

Hello friends

I can't understand how the Pipeline stages affect the multiplier core? I tested 1 stage and 4 stages. The result is given with 1 clock for 1 stage, and 4 clocks for 4 stages.

When i decrease the clock frequency, no difference is happened. But as i increase the clock frequency for 4 stages,the result is given with

5 clocks! why?

what is benefits of 4 stages in comparison to 1 stage?

spman

Generally, more pipeline stages means higher maximum operating clock stages. This is because of reduced delay due to logic + routing between banks of registers.

RCIngham