Trust 1-man headhunter operation?

I was recently contacted by a headhunter about a contract-to-hire
position.  I called back the phone number left and got the same guy
immediately (no receptionist or extension).  The headhunter's company
has no web site, and when I did a web search for the phone number I
found it associated directly with the company name.  I looked up the
company in the business directory on my state government's web site
and found it is an apparently legitimate business, registered under
this guy's name back in 1988.  Since he's registered, can I trust him
to not be running an identity theft or other scam?

Re: Trust 1-man headhunter operation?

No, of course not. But he's less likely to be a pure scam operation.

You should post the details of this recruiter here so we can warn him
what an unemployable whiner you are.

Re: Trust 1-man headhunter operation?
Everyone is cranky today, or at least on the groups that I frequent.

C'mon.  It's memorial day.  We're all alive, most of us haven't had any
limbs blown off, and many of us haven't even had to serve in the armed
forces.

So can we wait until tomorrow before starting any more wars?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm a whiner, but I'm not unemployable, and mostly the people who are
annoyed by my whining are incompetents pretending to have tech skills.
You must be one of those incompetents.  People with abilities tend to
be a bit cynical (you call it whining) because they realize how
screwed the world is.

Re: Trust 1-man headhunter operation?

You haven't been around here long, to so categorize larwe.  I think
he was quite accurate.  There are never real guarantees on
anything.

--
 <http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt
 <http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423

I understand the people who question/reject the system, and I
understand the people who blindly accept the system, but the people
who have always made no sense to me are the ones who actively promote
the system and attack the minority who question it.

Re: Trust 1-man headhunter operation?

I usually end up exchanging some opinion in each interview to test if
the company is right.  Actually, in one interview my interviewer did
some complaining.  He was one of those Linux guys who likes to bash
(does that mean "whine" in your language?) Microsoft.  I'm not fervent
about this particular topic, but it's not bad to meet someone with a
mind.

Re: Trust 1-man headhunter operation?

In my (very) limited experience, the one man outfits are the best - but all
agents are a pain in the ....

I don't know if it is just a US language thing, but I would call this guy an
employment agent, not a head hunter.

In my view:

+ A head hunter would be somebody that got a very tight specification for
the person they were after (even the name of the person they were after),
then they would research the best people in the industry (i.e. actually do
something for their money) and make approaches to potential candidates -
even if there target was already happily employed.

+ An agent is somebody who tries to match up a list of job openings with a
list of people who are registered as interested in new employment.  Normally
very badly.

Richard.

Re: Trust 1-man headhunter operation?

Why not ask him for 2 references.  One a person he placed, and the second a
company he placed someone in, ideally not the same company.

Scott

Re: Trust 1-man headhunter operation?
On Tue, 29 May 2007 08:43:15 -0600, "Not Really Me"

That make some sense, the reverse of how I give my references out.  I
guess the trick is figuring out if the references themselves can be
trusted.

Re: Trust 1-man headhunter operation?

Specify a technical placement.  Anyone who is hired to pretend to
be an engineer or programmer won't be able to answer basic questions
about the technology.  Then investigate the company like you would
any other; is it publicly traded?  Does it have a website?  How long
does the domain record say it has been registered?  Is it in the
phone book of the city it is in?  What does the reording say when you
call after hours?

Guy Macon
<http://www.guymacon.com/

Re: Trust 1-man headhunter operation?
On Wed, 30 May 2007 06:11:14 +0000, Guy Macon

Good idea.  A real technical person probably wouldn't be corrupt
enough to participate in a major scam, and I'm guessing a scam artist
would be too lazy to occasionally do legitimate work as a front.

It's not traded nor does it have a web site, but it is in the phone
book (http://www.superpages.com/ at least).

I should try calling at 10 p.m.

Re: Trust 1-man headhunter operation?
On Wed, 30 May 2007 06:11:14 +0000, Guy Macon

It was the one guy, announcing his name and saying to leave a message.
There was no mention of his recruiting company's name, so it could
have easily been his home phone line.  Of course, it could have just
meant he had a direct line into his office/cubicle at work (I did at
my old job).

Re: Trust 1-man headhunter operation?

Why are you so nervous about this?  Its not like you are going to work for
the guy himself, he is just an introduction agency.  A pimp for want of a
better word.

As I said before, from my experience the small outfits seem to be the best.
If he is an ex engineer then he will be much more targeted in his approach.
Most of my experience is coming from the recruiters point of view, rather
than the candidates point of view though.

Richard.