Tequipment.net bleh.

Looks like these guys are a problem.. they took well over a month to
ship (shown as in stock), and when I opened a Paypal claim (almost $3K
USD was charged upon order, not held back to shipment like most
legitimate companies) before the 45 day Paypal limit they appear to
have immediately partial-shipped a demo unit with an invoice showing
that everything was in the box. Very frustrating, as is Paypal's
automated process.

Internet searches shows that this kind of thing has been going on for
some time now. And I thought it would be low-risk compared to eBay..
not.

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:23:09 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

Should we send them nasty emails?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
Re: Tequipment.net bleh.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:23:09 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

That's surprising. Tequipment.net has been my "go to" source for years
without any problems.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:28:57 -0400, the renowned Rich Webb

Here's another couple of guys with a very similar experience:-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/196184/avoid-tequipment-net

None of us were outright cheated, but neither did we remotely get what
we have come to expect from e-commerce.

Seems to be hit-and-miss, and good luck getting a straight story out
of them if it turns out to be "miss".

I have a good mind to lodge a complaint with the FTC.
http://business.ftc.gov/documents/alt051-selling-internet-prompt-delivery-rules
IIRC, they have enough teeth to get their attention.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Tequipment.net bleh.
http://business.ftc.gov/documents/alt051-selling-internet-prompt-delivery-rules

Keep in mind that you still have rights on your credit card, assuming
you paid PayPal with a credit card.

I don't trust PayPal after a first hand experience with them.  They will
deal with fraud and theft when you can prove it, but they won't do any
investigation into the problem beyond what you provide and they won't
cooperate in contacting authorities.  In fact, they will stall you.  I
once was send around a telephone chain only to end up back with the same
person I spoke to first time as the correct department.  The bottom line
is that they don't care about the problem and prefer to keep it quiet to
prevent it from showing up in any reported statistics.

In another situation with a eBay problem the PayPal guarantee didn't
help me at all because UPS says they laid the package at my door even
though I never got it.  PayPal wouldn't discuss it with me, or more
accurately there is no means for them to discuss it with me as you said.
  The shipper has to file the claim with UPS and wouldn't so I was out
the dough.

Rick

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

right if you pay by creditcard and don't get your stuff you can get
the bank to reverse it, but..

some one was running a scam selling iphones and shipping shitty old
random phones, because getting the bank to reverse it if you do get
something, just not what you expected, is alot more trouble

-Lasse

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

Yes, it is a bit harder, but once they get a few complaints the credit
card companies won't deal with them anymore.  Same with PayPal.
Eventually they get booted.  My problem with PayPal is that they won't
work with you to involve anyone from the outside such as law enforcement.

Rick

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

Seems to me that they require you waive those rights to use PP with a
CC, but I don't know if that's a valid contract.

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

That's interesting news - when did they implement that policy (payments
with a credit card not having the right to make a claim)? I got screwed
out of $4000USD by some clowns doing a credit card claim against PayPal
after the PayPal 45 day period back in 2006 (still annoyed).

John :-#)#

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

The US agreement only seems to say that thou shalt not pursue both
avenues simultaneously.

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

I believe the CC compnies take on it that when put money on paypal
you got what you paid for, money on you paypal account, so the CC
company
is of the hook

if you then pay with paypal and don't get what you paid for it's
between
you and paypal

-Lasse

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

If you do it that way.  I never put a balance on my PP account.  I pay
through PP for items.  That is always disputable through the CC.

I have disputed PP charges and won.  There are two things eBay doesn't
like, both of them have to do with losing money.  CC chargeback is the
big one.

Rick

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

Although I do purchase items from Ebay via a credit card, I have been
thinking of getting a PP account, but after comments on this thread I am
starting to question if I really think it's worth the trouble?

   The problem is that I seem to be having issues lately getting some
components that would otherwise be common among US dealers, but the
chinese market seems to be flooded with what I need and they seem to
accept PP just fine.. So having a separate bank account for that would
seem to be the move to make and keep a small balance in it.

   I have an up coming project (business I do on the side) that requires
materials and components that only seem to be available from
china, now. uC chips don't seem to be much of a problem but supporting
components and hardware is.

   I needed some FR5 not to long ago, no where in the states could I find
  a supplier that had anything in stock but a couple of places were
willing to get it if I waited 3 weeks. I used a PP account from work and
got it from a chinese source in something like 3 days to our factory and
costing less, much less actually.

   This country is going down the tubes..

Jamie

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.
On a sunny day (Fri, 26 Oct 2012 22:11:11 -0400) it happened Jamie

I do not like to give my credit card details online,
so paypal works great there.
Yes China has everything.
Communication seller - buyer is very good in my ebay experience,
think I am close to 100 items now.
Ordered a lot of SMD resistors last week.
On somebody elses recomendation here I also ordered nice boxes of SMD caps long
time ago,
been using them, OK, ebay nr 350252063648

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

long time ago,

   Expired listing. Here is the new listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370259564896

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

How do you purchase from eBay without a PP account.  I find that some
99% of the vendors only accept credit cards through PP.  I don't know if
you can pay through PP with a CC without an account.  I do know that you
don't need to link the transaction to any balance in your account.

Why do you need to link a bank account at all?  I never have!

Or, like everyone else, they just do what is profitable and that is not
the same as it was 30 years ago.

Rick

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

Pay with credit card.

On eBay you can pay with credit card without having a PayPal account,
even if the seller only accepts PayPal.

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

For merchants I deal with online that definitely works.  But I went to a
little symposium last month, and the registration payment link dumped me
straight into a PayPal login-or-create-account page.  I need another account
like I need a hole in the head, so I emailed my explanation to the symposium
organizers and paid cash when I got there.  Maybe bigger operators get some
leeway from PayPal that smaller operators don't.

    Mel.

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

Ok, maybe I've done that, I'm not sure.  I guess because I have both an
eBay and PP accounts when I pay it always asks me to log into my PP
account.

Rick

Re: Tequipment.net bleh.

When I buy from a seller that only accepts PayPal, I get a page that
asks me to log in with a PayPal account (which I don't have) or pay with
credit card (this option is a bit more hidden). When I pay with credit
card the payment still goes through PayPal, so I assume it is all the
same as far as the seller is concerned.

Site Timeline