Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.

Hi !

I need a something like a SoC (ARM, PPC ...etc) with an embedded
SLIC/PCM interface. A perfect solution would be one supported by
GNU/Linux kernel. I try ggogling with these Keywords unfortunately
nothing interresting has been found ...

Best regards, Habib.

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.
This look like something they made 50 years ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_card

Perhaps in another 50 years, someone will be able to integrate those transformers into SoC.  But we are not there yet.

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.
sformers into SoC.  But we are not there yet.

Sorry, those are relays, not transformers.  So, it might be doable with SSR
.  But i am sure there is an isolation transformer somewhere.  You can alwa
ys build the SoC yourself, not ARM, MIPS or PPC, but BellMac32.  With appro
ximately 200,000 transistors, it's a piece of cake with FPGA.

BellMac32 is 32bits with 8 registers R0 to R7, FP, SP and PC.  It's one of
the first C machine.  This would be an interesting project.

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.

Ok it might be a funny project to integrate a TDM bus arbiter in a FPGA.
This is in fact the switch core of a PBX system. I was wondering if a
versatile solution exists to control data's over the TDM bus and
interface it to a low speed bus (SPI, SSC, etc.)

I might be interrested if a SoC could already integrate such a thing but
obviously this is not a focused area of our silicon manufacturers ...
not at the moment.

Habib.

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.
On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 09:31:19 +0200, Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

So you want some kind of QUICC coprocessor functionality (found on
68380 and some PowerPCs) on a SoC ?

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.

Yes i find something interresting with Freescale PowerQuicc processors
(e.g MPC8315). These chips have a TDM embedded on it, i will read deeper
the ref manual.

Thanks.

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.

You can always do it with relays.  A simple micro or FPGA driven relay arra
ys should work fine.  POTS works on relays for many decades.

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.
On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 18:21:36 +0200, Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

Look for the TSA (Time Slot assigner/assignor).

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.

Hey !

Strange that obviously very few people knows what are the main
fonctional components of a voice/data core switch (like in a PBX). Time
Solt Assigner is one of those.
I'm beeing implement a TSAC in FPGA.

Thanks, Habib.

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.
ake with FPGA

POTS TDM are mainly used by one mother company over decades.  The baby comp
anies have not done much work in this area.  So, most equipments, including
 line interface cards are likely found in their computer designs.  The soft
ware is probably WE32000/BellMac32 assembly running on 3B2/5/15/20.

However, you can't just buy a WE/BM OTS, if you need to run any of their so
ftware.  Fortunately, you can implement a BellMac32A with the cheapest Spar
tan 6 X4 (around $10).

You don't have to.  A complete kit, including FPGA, 64M SDRAM, ethernet, et
c. is available for $89.

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/AES-S6MB-LX9.htm

Ir should be able to run UNIX, or whatever OS they are using now.

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.

Well, there are 6kV isolation transformers available inside ics right
now. For example some analogue and digital isolators can be found at:
<http://www.analog.com/en/interface-isolation/digital-isolators/products/index.html>
And I'm sure there are others.

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.

Freescale have some powerful power architecture devices in production
which have so called "PSC" (Programmable Serial Controller" units
built in.
I use the MPC5200B, also the MPC5125 and the MPC5121 have PSC-s.
Be careful during selection, not all PSC-s on a device (at least
on the 5200B) have all capabilities, you have to go into considerable
detail to understand which can do what. E.g. at the 5200B you have 6
PCS-s, but two of them can do only UART; 3 of them can do pretty much
everything, codec, ac-97, uart, you name it - and the 4-th comes
close, too.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/

Re: Soc with SLIC/PCM (Codec) interface.

Dimiter,

Thank you for the topic. I see you know Freescale MPC series very well.

Habib.

Site Timeline