Smallest 8-bit controller?

Philips has just announced tiny LPC900 parts in a 3mm x 3mm 10-pin package:

http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/news/content/file_1122.html

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

does someone pay you for that ? sucker

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r35%2019

No, sucker, I just thought it might be of interest.

Leon

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

yes, repetitive word of mouth advertising is very interesting

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r35%2019
Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

So everybody who posts through google is a sucker, me included on
occasion (when in the office because of firewall setup) just because of
their posting medium. Sounds somewhat nazi to me.

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

you didnt follow the link did you ? I got plenty of advertising in my
mailbox and dont want any press releases on the group. This is not
comp.arch.embedded.advertising . I assume that almost everybody got the
info from theyr sales rep of catalogue or other source. There is no
need for this advertising crap here as well.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r35%2019
Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

Comment #1: There IS a need for appropriate advertising on new ICs
that are used in embedded systems. I, for one, want to know about them.

Comment #2: If we assume for the sake of argument that the post in
question was undesirable, your "solution" to this situation is
ineffective and stupid.  Here is the Standard Advice; read and learn.

THE STANDARD ADVICE:

There is a way to influence what gets discussed in a newsgroup that
works well, and another way that has never worked no matter how many
people have tried it.

What works:  Post articles on the topic you wish to see discussed,
and participate in the resulting discussion.  Use killfiles and
filters so that you don't see the articles that you dislike.
If you don't know how to use a killfile, use good old fashioned
discipline and don't read the articles that you dislike.  Never,
ever respond to articles that you dislike.

What doesn't work: Respond to articles that you dislike, complain
about articles that you dislike, complain about posters that you
dislike, complain about how terrible everyone else is for not posting
what you want them to post. Talk about how to respond to articles
that you dislike.  Make the articles that you dislike the center of
attention, the main topic of discussion, and a personal crusade.

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

and you get one in press releases, again this is not
comp.arch.embedded.pressreleases

yep

I dont think so

cant argue with that :)

[cut]

mostly true, now you read this :
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/05/magazine/05BUZZ.html?ex12%59989200&en=6dc3f3878659a642&ei50%90&partner=rssuserland

and we are even.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r35%2019
Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?
RusH said

It's also not comp.arch.embedded.askrushifitsokaytopost either.

I learned something from his post ... I hadn't seen any press release
on the subject.  I might actually have a use for the product.

I didn't take it as an advertisement at all.

You seem to be the only person complaining.

Casey

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

17 January on this NG

Maybe I'm the only one not used to waking up in the middle of the night
to talk to some nice telemarketer ?

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r35%2019
Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

Followups set.

I don't know what the situation in Poland is, but here in the
US telemarketers do not call in the middle of the night.
I am quite certain that Usenet posts don't wake people up
even in Poland.

Xnews has an excellent scorefile-based killfile system.
Why don't you simply filter out the posts that you dislike?

I just checked the last 1,000 posts in this newsgroup, and
I see that you have failed to post a single word on the topic
of embedded systems. 100% of your output consists of complaining.
Your complaints use up more bandwidth than the ads you complain
about do.

Here, for the second time, I give you The Standard Advice.

You can ignore it if you wish, but if you do I will killfile
you for being a chronic timewaster, and I wouldn't be surprised
if others do the same.

[...]

I did follow the link. I do think the OP was totaly unnecessary. What I
do not agree with is stating that the poster is a sucker just because he
or she is posting through google (at least so I thought from your follow
up).

I see your point. As I mentioned before I think the original post was
unnecessary. There are people that disagree with the two of us on this
particular issue. I think thare are worse habits around though, other
than posting an occasional note on a new component or posting through
google which seems to bother some. My "favorite" is messages with
hundreds of lines comprised by quotes, sometimes carrying 5 quote
levels, whose authors show no consideration for the others that are
willing to know their opinions.

Regards.

Elder.

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

and the link was to a post about those very same LPC900 parts .. a week
earlier on this group

its not about a google posting (why anyone should mind that?), its
about advertising

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r35%2019
Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

Sorry. I misanderstood you: thought you meant philips link. The google
link just open a mail to in mozilla.

I quit here.

Regards.

Elder.

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

You should have read Leon's home page. He is giving you all the information
there. Such accusation should be avoided in the news group (and not only
there).

Heinz

--

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel  port GmbH  http://www.port.de

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

Microchip's 10F family is very small also but compared to the LPC900 it
is a toy. It is always of interest to this group when a new device is
released, especially when these devices address the needs of those in
this group. I don't have the luxury of checking all the manufacturers
websites to see who has released what, what it is, how much, and where
and when can you get it. So I appreciate the "gossip" as it is much
faster and easier then surfing and if the poster includes a link, well,
it's just so much easier.

While we are sorta on the subject, I don't know why some posters carry
on like self-appointed NG police when a product announcement is posted
discretely. What is the problem with that??? Even if it is from the
manufacturer or distributor themselves, I for one want to know. Aren't
many of you on some sort of mailing list from manufacturers??? This is a
public forum for computers.architecture.embedded, isn't it?

Admittedly, none of us would want this NG flooded with announcements,
but it's not like it's untraceable suck-u-in crap spam either. We users
as a "usegroup" get to decide what the netiquette for this community is
and that it should always be something that is both beneficial and
practical.

If, at some point the commercial interests would like to post freely
without thought for flood or content, well let them create their own
newsgroup such as comp.arch.embedded.announce perhaps? Why not? I'd
subscribe.

Now that I have (hopefully) been helpful will some sucker please pay me.

*Peter*

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

now that looks cool.
the leadless HVSON package? was there a picture somewhere?
Didn't spot it in a hurry.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:        http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

Why do semics companies never include links to tech info in press releases....?

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

  You are right that most do not, but some do and it is slowly improving.
There are also those where the press release beats the tech-info by some
days

  In Philips case, a click on microcontrollers on the news page, now
gets you a package note, and from there a click gets you to
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/cgi-bin/pldb/pip/P89LPC9107FDH.html

  but in an ideal world, this _would_ be in the press release....

-jg

Re: Smallest 8-bit controller?

Ahah! got it all, document at:
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat_download/datasheets/P89LPC9102_9103_9107_1.pdf