Re: Connecting wire to PCB

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:54:24 -0400, the renowned James Morrison

You might have reliability problems with a crimp joint to SS.

Plate the SS and solder it. Use special SS solder (and flux).. with
caution. Weld the wire to something more solderable.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Connecting wire to PCB

For a few prototypes, you might try tinning
the SS wire with solder and zinc chloride (acid)
flux.  Clean well then solder the tinned wire
to the board with resin or aquious flux.  I've
had good luck soldering to the SS tabs on
rechargable batteries this way.

Re: Connecting wire to PCB

Who/what says you "need" to solder them?

I strongly suggest you step back and make *very* sure you really have
to use steel here, before you consider how to use it.

One typically doesn't want to use steel for much of anything, in
electronics.  It's not just damn near impossible to solder to copper
without killing nearby electronics components and rotting the board in
the process --- it's also a rather bad electrical conductor.

If you do have to use steel, I'd suggest you use screw terminals
and/or press-on cable shoes instead of soldering.

Re: Connecting wire to PCB

Yes, unfortunately stainless steel is required for this application.  I
would avoid it if at all possible.

That is a brilliant idea.  Thanks.  Its so obvious once you know.

Cheers.

Re: Connecting wire to PCB
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:54:24 -0400, James Morrison

If you use the right flux, then soldering stainless steel is no
problem.
Look at http://www.sra-solder.com/fluxes.htm for some
suitable fluxes.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: Connecting wire to PCB

You will need an acid based flux which will enable you to flow solder
around the wire strands. Something we have to do where I work quite a lot.
Unfortunately I cannot recall the name on the yellow pot with the red lid
but I can look for you tomorrow.