Questions about USB development

Hi all

Been reading some posts, have lots of confusion. I need a (cheap) low speed USB programmable microcontroller development board, plus (re)flashable chips to go with it. It must A) Be cheap B) support ASM coding C) Be useable with Windows HID drivers D) both be useable as a development kit and a chip flasher E) be able to develop "low-speed" usb chips

The closest I've found is

However, I don't think any of the products match my desires. Please help. Thanks in Advance

Kyle

Reply to
DarkKobold

What is wrong with the DLP245PL? It uses drivers and USB chip from FTDI (ftdichip.com) can be reprogrammed or used as is for lots of I/O pins.

Tom Woodrow

DarkKobold wrote:

Reply to
Tom Woodrow

is easy to use and cheap. It contains a excellent description of the USB functionality what saves you many time in reading the USB standard. The kit comes with custom windows drivers and is not a HID, but if you tackle the report descriptor it should be easy to modify the firmware (source available) for your HID needs. Therefore the descriptor tool DT is recommended. My HID code completely written in C is now about 600 bytes.

Reply to
Janvi

Tom Woodrow wrote in news:Q0lYa.84782$o%2.39189@sccrnsc02:

Thanks for the response. From what I saw on the DLP245PL chip, it is for full speed chip development. From my understanding, this is not good for keyboards, mice, and in my case, joysticks. Is it possible to develop low speed for the DLP chip?

Reply to
DarkKobold

Janvi wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t-online.de:

Thanks for the response! This by far is the best for me, I think. It matches all of my requests/requirements. However, the US distributor seems... shady at best. Also, the fact that the site is a foreign company seems like support would be nil. Is it worth the risk? Also, would you be willing to post your HID code, or direct me towards sample code? thanks!

Reply to
DarkKobold

snipped-for-privacy@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Thank you for your response! I had looked at these before... I would really like to use this suggested board... But unforntunately, it appears the only thing it is used for is Full Speed USB application. Since my base code is cypress, this would be ideal, except that the original line my sample code is based on is a different cypress line all together. It is my understanding that low/full speed USB are NOT interchangeable. Also, it would make coding transformation difficult. Maybe I'm wrong tho. I'm new to the whole imbedded controller world.

Reply to
DarkKobold
[...]

I don't know anything about the DLP245PL, but there is nothing wrong with "full speed" USB keyboards, mice, and joysticks. The device type and its capabilities are detemined by the message content, not its baud rate. Low speed is a cost issue: it lets devices with low throughput requirements (like keyboards etc.) shave a few pennies in hardware cost.

For example, several years ago I developed a keyboard and mouse simulator for a test system (i.e., a device that lets a test system provide keyboard and mouse input to a target system through the target's USB port). We used AnchorChips (now Cypress) EZ-USB, which is full speed device. Works well.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

my HID code for the PC based on the example of Jan Axelson - See

my HID code for the target based on the flow diagramms found in the USB book of the Franzis Verlag (Germany)

Reply to
Janvi

If you do decide to go down the Cypress EZ-USB route, I have a barely used Cypress EZ-USB FX2 developer kit which I no longer need.

Cypress describe this kit as below:

Developer Kit: CY3681 EZ-USB FX2 Development Kit, Apr 21, 2003 The kit includes the following: EZ-USB Development Board with CY7C68013- 128AC, peripheral Board for prototyping, USB cable, and an RS-232

9-pin to 9- pin cable.

Cost me £450 in the UK, I'll let it go for about £200, maybe less.

Thanks, pete_moretonATyahooDOTcom

Reply to
Peter Moreton