PicBasic vs. C

Hey everybody,

I'm faced with the task of convincing my boss to purchase a C compiler for the PIC18F's, and I wanted to gather some thoughts from more experienced engineers (I'm a recent graduate). We currently use PicBasic Pro, which has worked fine since most of our projects are fairly small (< 2000 lines). However, we're starting to move towards larger projects, and I strongly feel that C is much better suited for larger programs. What are your thoughts as to the relative advantages/disadvantages of C vs. PicBasic?

There are a few catches to the situation, however. First, since we already own the PicBasic Pro compiler, it will be extremely difficult talking him into shelling out $500 - $1000 for a C compiler. Also, he does not know C, so he will view the move as pushing him out of the engineering aspect of the company. Does anyone have any thoughs, recommendations, or warnings on how to approach my boss with this somewhat delicate situation?

Thanks, Alex Parkinson

Reply to
Alex Parkinson

already

C,

the

how

I think the larger question is what will having a C compiler buy that the PicBasic Pro compiler won't? It's entirely possible that PicBasic Pro suits your company's needs just fine and will for some time.

So I think the question is now how to approach your boss, but instead gather pros/cons so you fully understand the benefits/tradeoffs to going such a direction. PicBasic Pro may be just what the company needs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a C guy all the way (BASIC is too inflexible for my tastes/needs), but I do realize there are plenty of tasks that could be solved with both BASIC and C. It all depends on the requirements of the products.

-->Neil

Reply to
Neil Bradley

Since you're not really moving to bigger projects, as the PICs do have some limits, you might as well stay with the PicBasic. All you need is some type checking of the language.

The program has to look structured and understandable, aka selfdocumenting, what more ?

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Alex,

has

feel

as

For one, there are almost certainly more C than Basic compilers for pretty much any microcontroller, the PIC series included. If one compiler should fail you, there are others to be add. All is not lost. It's just that the C language extensions for microcontrollers tend to vary from one compiler to the next.

already

C,

the

how

The great selling point here, as I point to those who call our own company (Avocet), is the cost of an engineer's time versus the cost of the tools. For good many years now the cost of an engineer's time in relation to the cost of the tools has been going up markedly. So, for a project of any sizable budget, it pays to get the very best tools you can lay your hands on. I'd recommend you start by considering the HI-TECH compiler.

Dave Bardon, Avocet

P.S. We don't have tools for the PIC18 series

Reply to
Avocet Systems, Inc

Reply to
Stef Mientki