PCI parallel port boards for use with ICEs?

I've got those embedded-engineer-on-a-consumer PC blues...

My work desktop PC is a HP d220MT (DG266A). This has one parallel
port, which is locked in ECP mode. There are no BIOS options to select
SPP or EPP modes. I've got at least one, maybe more ICEs that won't
work on ECP ports.

MIS bought a PCI card based on the NM9805 chip, which DOES support SPP
mode, but:

a) ONLY the DOS drivers let you select SPP mode. I'm forced to run
WinXP on this machine, so I'm locked in ECP mode, and

b) The card mounts at an unusual I/O address (C400H I think). The
emulator software only works on the three standard addresses of 378,
278, 3BC.

Can someone recommend me a PCI add-in card that (a) can be forced into
one of the standard port addresses, and (b) supports SPP or at worst
EPP under WinXP?

Replacing the PC is not an option either :( This is a bureaucracy
thing; I can spend $500 on the parallel port card, if necessary, but
not $200 on a new computer.

Re: PCI parallel port boards for use with ICEs?

This is normal for PCI cards.

I know that some PCI parallel ports supports legacy remapping. However, i
dont remember a specific brand.

Well, how about spending the money on an ICE that has USB or Ehternet
instead?

Leo Havm°ller.

Re: PCI parallel port boards for use with ICEs?

There's an option for it in the driver for this particular card, but it
does nothing (apparently).

Not possible for these damn godawful mask-ROM Japanese single-source
poorly-supported semi-documented parts. It took me two solid 9-hour days
of effort (and conversations with "support") just to get the flash
version of the part to program.

Re: PCI parallel port boards for use with ICEs?

How about an ISA printer card?  I am sure you can pick one up from
your local junk store or garage sale.  That's assuming your PC can use
ISA card, which might be wishful thinking anyway.

Re: PCI parallel port boards for use with ICEs?

No ISA in these machines... they are just too modern for any embedded
development. *sigh*

Re: PCI parallel port boards for use with ICEs?

First questions must be
  - which ICE do you use?
  - Does the specific software/drivers of your ICE allow a memory
remapping?

regards
Laurent Gauch
www.amontec.com

Re: PCI parallel port boards for use with ICEs?
Hi,

This is a problem that I encountered a long while back. I blew some pins on
the built in parallel port of my motherboard, I could only put a PCI card
into the machine. WinXP and all NT based operating systems don't give access
to how the ports are mapped, you just have to use that address, NT ops
allocate the addresses to what is available at the time of loading.

I did wonder if it was possible to write a parallel port kernel driver to
re-map for me but, I thought that the time it would take and the effort was
not something I'd liked to have entered into at the time. Maybe someone with
more NT kernel expertice could give some information on how viable this
would be.

Win98 does, I contacted the chip manufacturer of the NM9805 and they gave me
quite a bit of info, they also had a better driver than the one shipped with
the card that did map the card to a more standard parallel port address, but
as I say this works on Win98 only.

We got a new updated DLL for our applications to support such non-standard
address, which has worked fine for us. Tviclpt 1.3 has this support.

This does not help your predicament though, but have you tried to contact
the ICE manufacturer to get them to add a box to the parallel port dialog or
something to allow you to change the port address by hand, this would at
least make it usable.

Bryan

Site Timeline