---Parallel port testing

Dear All,
    I am engaged in creating a progran to test the embeded linux system
during production.
Now my problem is how can test the parallel port without other device
(printer, pc ,etc).
I hope to have a simple circuit connected to the port and build a user
program to send
some data and recieve it by iteself.

   Somebody is expexried with this and help with that?

Bill Zhao

Re: ---Parallel port testing
Check out a book by Craig Hollabaugh called, "Embedded Linux; Hardware,
Software and Interfacing".  It's also covered in a number of O'Reilly
books on Linux programming.

Google might be worth a try also...

found this...
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/IO-Port-Programming.html

Re: ---Parallel port testing
Hallo Bill,

You can build a small testsocket with a microprocessor which takes all
256 bit combinations as testpattern and replys by acking or e.g raising
"out of paper". This would be a 10-20$ device, not including
development :-).

Regards, Kurt

--
PiN - Präsenz im Netz GITmbH
Kurt Harders

Re: ---Parallel port testing
Hallo Biil

Its not an existing device. Depending on the quantity you have to check
it may be a reasonable device to build. If you want me to do that
please ask.

Regards, Kurt

--
PiN - Präsenz im Netz GITmbH
Kurt Harders

Leave all unused lines in the air (=not connected, i.e. undefined) to
leave them on defaults. You may connect other lines together if you wish
- but you test your PC then.
You might want to put a LED (4.7V LED) on anyone of data lines between
GND to have lightshow for better interpretation. You might also want to
connect to ground through a small capacitor of 10nF or a resistor of 4KE
which was not originally used.

1=-STROBE  <--     //
2-9D0%-D7  ==>  --!>!+
10=-ACK    <--  -+   !
11=BUSY    <--  -+   !
12=PE      <--  -+   !
13=SLCT    <--   !   !
14=-AUTOFP -->   !   !
15=-ERROR  <--   !   !
16=-INIT   -->   \   !
17=-SLCT IN--> ---+  !
18-25=GND      -||+--+

Of course you'll need to wrap & insulate this naked wires & contacts
with some silicon (the one for ceramics or glass will do) or a nice
plastics that you can take off or you'll burn down the whole PC and all
nice data inside it will go straight to hell!
Be patient when working with connector - plastics melts pretty quickly
and you need something massive around it.

Best wishes, JK

Site Timeline