PCI bus probe/monitor/analyzer: which 74xxx interface chips?

Hi!
I'd like to make a "monitor" for the PCI bus, on a card.
On the same card, however, there will also be a FPGA chip
used as a PCI controller.
The FPGA won't always be active, but I want to monitor the
PCI bus on that card all the time.

What family of 74xxx chips should I use? My best guess for
now is the AHC family. Am I off track?
Will it require too much input current (unlikey, I think)
that it will violate the PCI specs, also considering the
additional presence of the (Altera Cyclone) FPGA?

I'm thinking about using 74AHC573 chips to buffer the AD
lines, and the various PCI bus control lines.

Please do not tell me to use a PLX, AMCC or any other
expensive chip for the monitor. I have to keep the costs
down. Using the FPGA for the monitor is also out of the
possibilities. Will 74AHCxxx chips work well? If not,
what other family should I use, which is fast enough but
doesn't load the PCI bus too much?

The card/PCB is pretty small, no line will be longer than
a couple of inches max.

Thanks!
John

Re: PCI bus probe/monitor/analyzer: which 74xxx interface chips?

The spec says one load per line so you're already violating it.

The spec also says all tracks <= 1.5" (apart from the clock),
so 2" would be violating it too.

Get hold of the spec if you can.

Nial.

Site Timeline