OT: A "decomposed" business structure

-----------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^

---------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

----------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We were discussing how *current* technology affords possibilities that are now much more practical. E.g., my reference to video conferencing, etc. I.e., "If you can watch *theater quality* multimedia over a home internet connection"/ I don't see "3 KHz" and "home internet connection" making ANY sense together unless you're using a dialup modem!

His comment was that "being around other people is fun." I countered that those other people might not share his enthusiasm! I.e., they are *forced* to be together by the artificial requirements of the workplace.

Those SAME PEOPLE would probably NOT want to "get together" at 9AM for a *social event* (party) with each other. Nor attend an early morning movie. etc.

Left to their own devices, they would probably NOT socialize together (how many % of the folks that you have worked with over your career have you spent any amount of "unconstrained" time with? dinner, parties, outings, etc.??)

Sure, they are in the situation that they created. Though you don't know how much choice they had in its creation. Nor in their ability to *change* it.

I worked with a guy who made a real "snippy" comment to me about how "blessed" my life was -- in comparison to his. Then, went on to describe how he had to drop out of college, start working at 19, etc. I.e., "poor me". He wasn't very happy when I replied, "And whose choice was it to knock up your wife OUT OF WEDLOCK?" (i.e., why is that something

*I* should be sympathetic to??)

Exactly. You wouldn't *be* there any time unless you *had* to! You wouldn't spend time with those folks (pretty much) unless you

*had* to! This is an extension of my argument above.

Being around people is fun. When it is by MUTUAL CHOICE and not artificially imposed by a work environment, etc.

I *have* to deal with those people while providing my volunteer services. Or, decide that the volunteer effort is "not worth it" in those circumstances. (just like "fellow employees").

But, an organization sponsored *party* -- even one at which I will be recognized and "rewarded" for my efforts -- is entirely

*my* time. I'll spend that time with the folks I *want* to spend it with!
Reply to
Don Y

How much of that $1M marginal cost? A $20M company making $1M machines is kinda far-fetched, no? Where do they get the financing to just buy the components to make it?

How do you test the device, then?

How did they build the first one?

Reply to
krw

No idea. I just worked for them -- but, not as an accountant! :>

Again, no idea. I just know what the machines sold for and the company's annual sales.

You get friendly with a customer (this is surprisingly easy to do!) and use *their* machine. As they are often likely to want an enhancement/improvement/whatever (since they've already bought the thing!), this is relatively easy to get their cooperation.

No idea -- you'd have to ask him!

How did Kurzweil build his first reading machine? Grants? VC? Philanthropic gifts??

Reply to
Don Y

However, the discussion then went on to, "The human auditory system is amazing, but not so much after being forced through one mic and one speaker and a 3 KHz comm channel." I corrected that to 4kHz audio, 8kHz sample.

Are you saying that they don't exist? I don't have dial up, but my DSL line at my AL house sure won't do "theater quality" anything, and the 3G, when it works, at this house is even worse (haven't figured out how to get the DSL line working here - something's odd in the wiring).

... and why are you worrying about what other people feel? You obviously don't have enough on your plate.

Depends on how much they're paid. ;-) No, I'd probably find something better to do if I weren't getting paid to go to work.

It's been a while, but mostly because that sort of thing doesn't seem to be "normal" anymore. I used to have people from work over almost every weekend in the summer (pool party) and our house was where the singles with no family in the area would come for Thanksgiving.

Get real. They're *not* slaves.

We got married when I was 18. I finished college, in four years, while working. I highly doubt that I am the only one to have done so. No, I don't have much sympathy, either, on so many levels.

No, it's just weird to even think of such a thing. Absurd, even.

No, it's fun even if they're paying me to do it. Forty (or sixty) is usually enough, though, unless you're married to your cow-orker.

Or perhaps those who you haven't spent enough time with.

Reply to
krw