Making an Embedded project for practice - Suggestions?

I had sent an earlier message about wanting to make a Renewable energy related embedded project at home so I could brush up and get ready for an Embedded job. Ever since I graduated with my MS in EE in 2002, I've been out of the field and have never done a real Electrical engineering job. Its a disadvantage but I need to do my best now with what I have. I need to show something to employers. Here's a fun project I thought of. Basically its going to be:

- I make two embedded boards and they'll talk to each other wirelessly. One will be connected by USB to the computer. The other will be sitting outside remotely.

- The one outside will have a number of things connected to it, including: solar panel, wind turbine and wind simulator

- temperature/humidity sensor

- GPS sensor

- Data on the PC is sent to a server where updates can be read anywhere on the web and can also be sent as SMS messages to a cell phone.

- Likewise data can be sent over the internet to command the remote system to do something, for example to ask the wind simulator to blow harder Most of these things are just for practice, not for any real use. I want to know how to interface them.

Lets see if this HTML comes through:

I've been out of the Embedded field for atleast 10 years so I think its going to take a lot for me to do this. But I look forward to it. I love technology and problem solving. This is going to be a big project, me trying to get from a job which I dont have a real passion for (and just did it because I just slacked; I should have done this sooner) to a job I know is right for me.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it! I came to this group many years ago and got a lot of useful suggestions on a query that I'd like to enter the field. Its never too late. Many suggestions asked me to do a home based project and yea, this is it. I have to do this if I want to have any hopes of getting a job in embedded. What I really want is an electrical engineering job in the renewable energy sector. I love anything that's free and working with free energy is the perfect job for me, I know that.

Looking forward to comments, suggestions and any other ideas you might have! Alex

Reply to
Alex

Oops the HTML did not work. Here's the link to the image:

Alex

Why would you need to have the embedded board right at the PC end of things. Why not instead use one data collector embedded board that has Bluetooth on it. Then add a Bluetooth dongle to a USB port on the PC as the input mechanism. This scheme will somewhat simplify the amount of hardware required but will give you some more experience at the PC side doing the software that utilizes the Bluetooth capabilities.

I would fully suspect that prospective employers will see more value in you having experience with standardized wireless interfaces that with some adhock thing you cobble up with some cheap 433MHz transmitter/receiver pairs.

--
- mkaras
Reply to

8

Have a google around ANT+

A standard protocol for wireless sensors 'n the like.

Glyn

Reply to
Glyn Davies