Making an 'embedded' winxp-like install

I have regular winxp pro, but would like to a use a super-slimmed down version of it to put in an embedded device for my senior project next year.

Is it possible to make such a version from my xp?

Ben

Reply to
benn686

Better try Embedded XP

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

How slim? What do you need to run? The minimum requirements for Windows XP Pro are here

You'll have to buy another Windows XP license. Does it have to be Windows? Depending on your requirements it might be worth looking at Linux.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

The answer is XPE (Windows XP Embedded), see your dear Microsoft representative. You will get a standard XP but with a tool to reconfigure it to remove all unused components. However "super-slimmed down" is perhaps a little too aggressive with XP... Alternatives are CE and Linux... Cheers,

-- Robert Lacoste ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

In other words, there's no point in doing this for your senior year project unless you can do it in some new or better way than XPE. It's typically required for senior projects to be unique.

-- MT

Reply to
mark thomas

reconfigure

project

typically

I didnt say it was my senior project. My embedded application rns on a PC-104 card (x86 based) and Id like to add an OS.

Reply to
benn686

Has it got to be Windows XP? It largely depends on what you want your operating system to do, but how about going back to Windows 98? You can slice that down to very small sizes, but 98 isn't the most stable of platforms. A small Linux distro may be a better way to go.

Rich.

Reply to
Richard Webb

Try Look at

The Win98 freeware version was good, but I think the XP versions requires a full install first, which can then be pared back to be smaller.

A possible better way would be to use Barts PE Builder

This allows you to build a WindowsXP like system, but you need to specify what you want it to do, it is not really general purpose.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent Crabtree