low-cost embedded CPU with PCI ??

 Anyone have suggestions for a very low-cost low-power
 embedded CPU with PCI ??

 [Need PCI for miniPCI WLAN ...]

 (The lowest I've seen are the IDT MIPS processors at around
  $10 .. but these are not suited for handheld devices)

Thanks,
  Stuart

Re: low-cost embedded CPU with PCI ??

You might try the Analog Devices Blackfin -- they have a PCI version.

If it was power consumption -- is _anything_ that hangs off of a PCI bus
going to be suitable?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Quite low-cost, but I'm not sure how you'll view the power consumption:
  Micrel KS8695P   $19.69  for up to 3 external PCI masters, or
         KS8695PX  $17.06  for only 1 external PCI master

As far as I can tell, the PX is the same part with a few less pins
bonded out.

The documentation gives maximum power consumption with all five Ethernet
PHYs active.  It should be much lower with only one (or none) active, but
they don't give the numbers.

I've been having trouble getting any distributor to take my order for
an eval board.

Re: low-cost embedded CPU with PCI ??
If power consumption and WLAN are the only questions, I suspect miniPCI
is the wrong answer. I'd suggest either using a CompactFlash (PCMCIA,
but not CardBus) WLAN, or USB.

Re: low-cost embedded CPU with PCI ??

Compact Flash is an alternative you should consider. You are linked to
the technical progress of the PDA handheld world and you are flexible
with the kind of devices you operate ( Compact Flash Memory , WLAN ,
GPRS ) ...

Matt

( www.avisaro.com )

miniPCI

Re: low-cost embedded CPU with PCI ??

Your cost and power requirements are not very specific. For PCI support
you might want to look at SH4 based microntrollers from STmicro (ST40)
or Renesas (SH7751). If I recall correctly, power consumption is around
1W for parts clocked at 166 MHz.

-- Norbert

Site Timeline