Looking for 2-wire to 100mil header cable

I'm looking for a source of the type of cables you find connecting front panel LEDs to motherboards in PCs. These are two pieces of stranded wire running to a crimped 2-pin, 100mil female connector that slides onto 100mil header on the PCB. About 6" wire length would be ideal, but I can make shorter or longer solutions work.

I have to think this is a stocked part, surely everyone doesn't buy the crimp tool and make their own?

I see extension cables readily available, but the prices are a bit insane - $2.99 - especially since I'm throwing away half...

Failing that, any other good, inexpensive wire-to-board connection ideas for putting motors and sensors into a solderless robot kit? I'll only be making small quantities - 30 or 40 at a time.

(Terminal blocks are a bit complicated. I can find rather overpriced

5.08mm spaced TB's but they make the PCB unreasonably large. I can find reasonably priced 2.54mm TB's but single source, and I don't know if they'll vanish tomorrow).

Thanks!

Reply to
larwe

That's what I do.

I use these:

but crimp tool ends on headers is probably what you want.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

We have plenty of them.

You can have 50 for $2.99 plus shippings (International).

Email me at "linnix at live dot com"

Reply to
linnix

Well, I'm a bit nervous about buying a $200 crimp tool+die, since the last time I did this the pin set went obsolete in less than a year :) But more important, I think most users of this kit will want to order their own parts off the shelf and will definitely not be able to justify the investment in such a tool. I don't want to be the supplier of anything except plans and documentation; I don't do production and mail order.

.

I found a similar part on Mouser (2.54mm spacing though), what worried me about it is that it seems kinda nonstandard. 5.08mm spaced TB's are common enough that there are about a million varieties I could substitute. All these other solutions I will be SOL if the part disappears.

How do these work? You strip off a bit of the wire and push the button to insert, or do you push the wire in and then push the button to eject it?

Reply to
larwe

That is very (very) attractive pricing, however I'm really looking for a source where I can point other people as well as get them myself.

Yes I could buy 1kpcs from you and resell them, but I really don't do that :)

Reply to
larwe

For small quantities, heck yes. In addition, the connectors in this family make dandy wire-end connectors (covered in heat shrink, of course) for flying lead prototyping or oddball JTAG headers.

Look at the Molex 16-02 family for the connectors: 22-24 AWG 16-02-0102 (tin), 16-02-0103 (gold), 24-30 AWG 16-02-0096 (tin), 16-02-0097 (gold). For the housings, use the Molex C-Grid SL 70066 series. These can be stacked adjacent or end-to-end and still fit the 0.100" grid.

The Eclipse/Solar 300-009 crimper works fine for these (also on DB-style crimp connectors and similar) and it's only US$40.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Ahh... just noticed that constraint. There's a generic non-ratcheting crimp tool that's sold by, well, not *quite* everybody which can handle crimping the Molex 16-02 connectors quite acceptably. One example is over at Jameco p/n 99443 (their direct links are obscenely long) for only about US$9. That seems to be just about the going price and, if your customers are doing crimped connections, also about the minimum "good enough" tool.

I'm starting to like the JST PH-series of 2mm connectors. Might be worth a glance; they're fairly cheap, polarized, and lightly latching. Unfortunately, it's another case of needing a specialized crimper. I can make do with an old Amp "Service Tool 1" I had laying around and a bit of care but it might be a tough go for a kit.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Items from Jameco.com...

100812 CONNECTOR,.1",1RW,2PIN HSG 10 .23 2.30 157383 CONNECTOR,.1",1RW,3PIN HSG 1 .27 .27 100766 @CONNECTOR,PIN,FEM,POST TIN 30 .15 4.62 159266 TOOL,CRIMPER,D-SUB PIN&SOCKET 1 10.95 10.95
Reply to
DJ Delorie

I've got one that looks very much like this, and I've used it to make some sub-D pin connections. The catch is that what you don't pay the manufacturer for detail and precision you put in yourself in care and attention; e.g. making sure that everything is lined up before you make the final crunch. Sometimes it seems like it takes 3 hands.

For very low volume and occasional use, the price is right and it does work.

I'd be interested in a ratchet tool with more detailed dies for $60 or $70.

Mel.

Reply to
Mel

Pro'sKit/Eclipse have some reasonable crimpers for reasonable prices. The $40-$70 range includes a nice ratchet frame with an interchangeable die. You don't get (or pay for) the nice to have extras like wire holders and stops, so there is still a need to eyeball how far in one has shoved the insulation.

For the D-subs, there's also the YAC4 tool from Philmore-Datak that's similar to the Eclipse 300-009 (might take the same die?) except that the YAC4 has a tension adjust and the 300-009's "Solar" frame does not. (Their "Lunar" frames do have the adjuster.)

For some reason I like to browse at Stark for hand tools -- must be that their old school HTML layout looks more sincere. ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

=A0 =A010 =A0 =A0 =A0 .23 =A0 =A0 =A0

=A0 =A0 1 =A0 =A0 =A0 .27 =A0 =A0 =A0

=A0 30 =A0 =A0 =A0 .15 =A0 =A0 =A0

=A01 =A0 =A0 10.95 =A0 =A0

me

the

ork.

  1. >

You can get hundreds of pre-assembled cable for the price of the tool. These things are dirt cheap at the factory. What's next for the DIYers? Draw your own wires from melted copper core and drip in melred plastic, because you don't like pre-made wires?

Reply to
linnix

Well, probably because the YAC4 (and presumably the 300-009 and others) does a reasonable job on the Molex KK-series, DB-style pins, 16-02 box-style, and other similar connectors. So, if a prototype or test jig needs a DB-9 female with a CAN pinout to a 4-pin SIL 0.1" ramped KK with

18" AWG 24 stranded then I can make just the one that I need.

When something moves into production then, yes, different factors come into play when making the build/buy decision. Even then, for low production rates and quantities, it can make sense to construct some things as needed from consumables rather than to stock specialty parts.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I like these as well. Open up any cheap DVD player and the unit is full of these connectors. We had to pay US$1000 for a hand crimp tool for this series though. But for even a small quantity (100) of made up cables from China costs less than 50 cents US a piece.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Okay... thanks very much for the responses, everybody (I never get lucky with distributors' search engines, real meat searches seem to work much better ;)). It seems really the best I can offer people in terms of "order this part" is to point them to either scavenging from old PC housings, or to buy the extension cables.

For my own production runs, I think it makes better sense than I was hitherto aware for me to buy one of these cheaper crimp tools and make my own sets. The advantage here is I can color code to my own specifications.

BTW, I don't want to use 2mm connectors, there are just not so many mating options and if people use perfboard instead of my PCB, they'll have trouble getting them on.

Reply to
larwe

You can stock pre-clamped wires in different colors. I just ordered a bunch of 2,6 and 8 wires plug/recepticle as shown here:

They are around 10 to 20 cents each, in hundreds.

Reply to
linnix