Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux

Hi, Can anyone point me to some straightforward info re the above? The
Altera site installation pages aren't particularly clear, and none of the
links in the forums actually get me to anything useful, it's mostly comments
saying how awful the process is. TIA

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux
it must be installed from within bash. the regular Ubuntu dash replacement =
although faster will not handle files in excess of 2GB. as soon as the inst=
aller has verified the file, it's all graphical. The buttons for next do no=
t fit onto certain netbooks, so a bit of tab wisdom is needed.

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux
./filename  to extract from current directory you cd to.

it unpacks to the directory it's in to do a verification so have at least 6GB
free there.

It takes 5.1 GB free in the eventual install location.

If you get colours when doing ls from the shell you are in dash.

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux

Colours are no indication of your shell - I use bash, with colours.

But you are right about dash being the most common shell in Ubuntu.  The
easiest way to make sure you are running bash for a job like this, is
simply to type "bash" - then do your install inside this shell.

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux
you will have to have execute permissions set on the file also.

Have not installed byteblaster or Usb blaster support yet, so not sure how easy
or hard this is, and not sure if a usb to parallel port adapter will work either.

version 9.1 windows under wine works for the front end but fails with a tcl
error when compiling vhdl. which is why I installed the 10 under linux native.

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux

Note that if you run a script which starts with the bang notation:
#!/bin/sh it will launch dash, as /bin/sh is a link to /bin/dash on
Ubuntu. Some users replace this link with a link to bash instead.

//Petter
--
.sig removed by request.

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux

That can certainly happen - but only if the script is badly written.  If
a script requires certain functionality from its shell, it should use
the appropriate shell in the #! line.  You only use #!/bin/sh if you are
happy with any posix-sh compliant shell - including dash.

But of course, there's always the possibility that the script writer
doesn't know that...

mvh.,

David

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux

It might be history, but I think the problem was that dash is/was(?)
not POSIX compliant. It's been a while since I looked into this, but
currently http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Almquist_shell says:

"much smaller than bash but still aiming at POSIX-compliancy"

which I interpret as it not being fully POSIX compliant. I have seen
issues with this in the past and had sufficient amount of problems
which caused me to abandon dash completely as a POSIX compliant shell.

But as I said it might be history. However, somebody should have
updated Wikipedia if that was the case.

//Petter
--
.sig removed by request.

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux

I should rephrase that as: The problems is that dash is not POSIX
compliant. I think that still is the case.

//Petter

--
.sig removed by request.

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux
should not 'bash script' execute a script within bash with the #! having an
effect, as #! is a system feature to find the shell to use?

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux
effect, as #! is a system feature to find the shell to use?

Correct.

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux

#! is not a feature to find the shell to use - you specify the shell you
want in the #! line.

Is there any way you could get a proper newsreader, or at least correct
your settings for google groups (assuming that's what you use)?  You
seem to make knowledgeable and potentially useful posts in a number of
groups, but because your posts don't track references properly, and you
don't include any quoted context, it is extremely difficult to follow
you.  No one knows what or whom you are replying to.

Thanks,

David

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux

I have done it (9.1, 10.0 & 10.1), and I remember it being just as
easy as installing any other program - no pain whatsoever.

1: Extract the file from Altera to a (temp) directory.
2: Execute the setup script from that directory (use sudo if
installing to /opt).
3: Answer a few questions when prompted.

Getting the USB blaster working takes a little effort; all of their
scripts reference a deprecated USB I/O structure.  Several solutions
are in the wiki.

RK

Re: Installing Quartus-II software on Ubuntu Linux

Thanks everyone. Most helpful.

Site Timeline