Implications of two transformers on Ethernet port?

I'm trying to rework an existing application (based around an Intel
SBC) to use a different SBC, and in the process I need to make a
daughterboard that holds two USB connectors, an RJ45 jack, and a
couple of other parts. The BLU516J-xxx series of stacked connectors
from Bothhand is cosmetically ideal (it consists of two USB sockets,
one RJ45 and three integral LEDs), but this connector is only
available in integral-magnetics flavors.

Basically what I'm building is an extension cord of sorts; it will
have an RJ45 plug on one end (going into the SBC's RJ45 jack) and the
other end will go to a daughterboard that mounts up on the connector
panel of the device.

However, it's not feasible for me to tell our assembly folks to
desolder the on-board jack (with its integral magnetics) on the SBC.

Given that I don't know much about the eldritch mysteries of analog
electronics, and nothing at all about the nature of Ethernet's analog
side, is my plan even slightly likely to work, or should I just use
some different connector, no magnetics, that isn't as sexy and
one-piece?

Re: Implications of two transformers on Ethernet port?

Are these variants /always/ going to have the extension cable
attached?

If so, perhaps have a build option for the SBC without magnetics. It
might make confusion over stock control likely, however.

Stuart Tyrrell
Stuart Tyrrell Developments.

Re: Implications of two transformers on Ethernet port?

Yes. But we don't manufacture the SBC, and in our quantities it adds
significant cost to the board to order it customized with items
missing. (If we could order it with special options, we'd like to skip
one of the Ethernet MACs, and a couple of other fairly major parts.
But it costs more to get it without those parts than with!).

Site Timeline