How to label chips?

I am almost afraid to ask, but what is an easy way to permanently label my freshly programmed microcontroller? The labels out of thos metal band thermo labeling machines fall off after a few days, and paper labels look relatively unprofessional and get dirty fast.

Any suggestions?

Matthias, being sick of confusing programmed and not programmed uC's)

Reply to
Matthias Melcher

Matthias Melcher schrieb:

There also are laser imprintable polyester based labels. Take care however - they are not cheap...

Examples: (3M Dealer)

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.

"Matthias Melcher" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ddsfcv$j6n$04$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com...

Brother P-TOUCH 9500pc is your choice.

MIKE

Reply to
M.Randelzhofer

Printed paper labels under a wrap-around layer of tape. Only works for DIP-style housings, though, but once in place, it'll never fall off.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

What's the narrowest tape you can get for it? Will it work on narrow DIP packages?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Also...

Loads of options there.

IIRC, they run about USD$80-100 for a box of laser or inkjet poly labels, which at your size will probably be something like 10,000 labels.

The Brother PTouch is a nice laminated labeler, but the print won't be as fine. I think you can get tape as narrow as 1/4", which fits one line of text. That should work for most packages.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

I used a P-Touch 1700, but the labels came off. Do you use a specific tape? Also, the tape starts at 6mm, but DILs are of coures only 5.5mm wide, so you get the little overhang, which is probably why they come off to begin with... .

Reply to
Matthias Melcher

Good one. Danke!

Reply to
Matthias Melcher

I use a Kroy label printer with their plasticised (polyester) labels. The glue makes them stick on really well. The printers will also help in making up cables as they will also print heat-shrink sleeving.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/********************************************************************
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

Also note that many (most?) of the current generation of Brother P-Touch labelers include a USB interface and install as a printer device under Windows. They are not, as others have noted, particularly high-res devices but you can easily print a custom logo or use type faces in addition to those built into the labeler.

For chip labels, I've found that the white lettering on black tape works well. There's also the option of using different colored tape for beta or test versions of the firmware.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Have You tried cleaning the chip surface by wiping it with some alcohol before attaching the label, most labels wont stick on fingertip grease.

Could be worth a try before spending money on expensive labels.

--
Med venlig hilsen/mojn/regards
Martin Hansen

I tried cleaning and even sanding and it didn't really help. Maybe the tape I use is too old.

Reply to
Matthias Melcher

ESD-safe label and tape, I hope.

Reply to
Richard Henry

[...]

Last time I checked, their "printer" required a special editor which tried really hard to be like a word processor. It was exquisitely unusable.

[...]
Reply to
Bryan Hackney

No. I understood this to be about labelling in the lab, not for production runs. Production chips should not be labelled at all --- doing so would only cause extra problems instead of solving any.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker