hardware bring up

What is "hardware bring-up" in ur terms?

Reply to
vinay raiker

Hmmm, ONE question, say 20% of 6 billion potential respondents, I'd say you're looking at >= ONE BILLION answers :-)

For what it's worth, here's ONE of mine: It's about initialising a machine, from the totally off (no power etc.) state, to the point that one can start running a "meaningful" application, in other words, writing appropriate values to all relevant registers in the correct sequence, to make the machine behave as advertised.

-- Cecil

Reply to
Cecil Hill

I've also seen the term used in the context of breathing life into a newly-designed PCB (or system). Often the prudent way to do that is to partially populate it, check it out, then add a bit more, check it out, etc until the whole thing is running. With a CPU card, one usually also writes some test/diagnostic stubs to assist in the process - minimal code that does just enough to initialise and test the hardware.

YMMV.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

That's the way I normally use the phrase, but I've also seen it used in the context of restarting a system or device that has been powered down for a long time, for example an aircraft that's been in a museum for 10 years :)

Reply to
larwe

I doubt that anyone here can speak or write the language of ancient Ur. You might do better on some newsgroup dealing with archeology.

-- "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson

Reply to
CBFalconer

Taking a bit of a guess I think what Vinay was after is:-

Hardware Bring-up

The process by which a programmable system is powered up and brought to full operation of all its sub-systems, proven to be working within its published performance criteria and made ready to accept the application software.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095