How to install system to ARM7TDMI-S?

Hi

I found the LPC2138 ARM7TDMI-S from Philips is a very low-cost board can
be used as an embedded router. Can anyone tell me how to install Linux
or FreeBSD on to this board's Flash memory?

http://www.embeddedartists.com/products/boards/lpc2138_100eth.php

Thanks
Sam

Re: How to install system to ARM7TDMI-S?

Sam,

While this is a nice board, I don't think you manage to install any of
the OS you mention. The problem is that those Philips ARM incarnations
don't have an external databus. You would need it to connect enough
RAM and probably also some kind of mass storeage like a CompactFlash
to store the filesystem etc.

The cheapest platfomrs to mess around with uC Linux and the like are
IMHO certain off the shelf routers which you hack and load with your
own code. But since you are after creating a router....

HTH

Markus

Re: How to install system to ARM7TDMI-S?

If you are after a tiny ARM7 RTOS then you might like to take a look at
FreeRTOS.org (http://www.FreeRTOS.org ).  There are plenty of demos
(including TCP/IP) for ARM7 devices, but not unfortunately for this
particular board.

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: How to install system to ARM7TDMI-S?

It says on the webpage that it comes with an RTOS, but they don't say which
one.

Re: How to install system to ARM7TDMI-S?

Possibly.

There's no way to run Linux or *BSD.  The board would need a
lot more memory.  You might be able to get a smaller RTOS like
eCos or uC/OS-II and LWIP running.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm meditating on
                                  at               the FORMALDEHYDE and the