HCS12 Family Compiler Question

I am starting a project using Motorolas HCS12 family chip.
Specifically
MC9S12E64.   I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on which
compiler suite to use?  Motorola suggests Code Warrior but seems
pricy.  Any comments on
the code warrier suite? Or which compiler should I use?

Thanks for your help

cheers,
Scott

Re: HCS12 Family Compiler Question

[Compiler for HC12]

If you want to know (and control) what happens: Cosmic C compiler with
iSYSTEM iC3000 debugger, a good editor (maybe Source Insight, if you
are able to get Sourcedyn's attention - they don't talk to me), GNU
make, makedepend, PC-Lint, Doxygen is what I use gladly.

Is approx. the same price as Codeworrier (SCNR) with P&E BDM hardware,
but IMHO more transparent.

If you believe that 200MB Codewarrior with PE beans will simplify your
design process, buy it. It might be, but I don't believe. You will end
in a situation where you have to read the processor data sheet and
understand the bean to find the error.

In the HC12 mailing list, you will get support for both Cosmic and CW.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen

Re: HCS12 Family Compiler Question

I played with the Gnu toolchain for a bit.  It seemed to
generate pretty decent looking code (certainly better than my
old Introl compiler), and you can't complain about the price.

If it were me, I'd probably use Gnu GCC and binutils.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  -- I love KATRINKA
                                  at               because she drives a

Of course Motorola suggests CW, they own Metrowerks.

There are other choices, including ourselves, and Cosmic. etc. We all
provide demo, ours is fully functional for 30 days. Try it and see for
yourself.

--
// richard
http://www.imagecraft.com

Re: HCS12 Family Compiler Question
I have used Metrowerks on the HC08. It took a while to appreciate it. I
am now writing for the MSP430 on an IAR compiler and like the metrowerks
better. Beware of the learning curve and slow support from MetroWerks.
Yuo may be able to Stong arm Motorola in a discount if you have
sufficiant quanities for a price break on the compiler.

Jim

Re: HCS12 Family Compiler Question
Hi,

Thanks for your responses. Has anyone had much experience with the GNU
toolchain.  I may be leaning towards this but am unaaware of the work
involved in making sure my microcontroller is supported (MC9S12E64).
I plan on using P&E for IDE and ICD and BDM.

Thanks again,
scott

I played with the Gnu toolchain for a bit.  It seemed to
generate pretty decent looking code (certainly better than my
old Introl compiler), and you can't complain about the price.

If it were me, I'd probably use Gnu GCC and binutils.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  -- I love
KATRINKA
Re: HCS12 Family Compiler Question
Thanks for the help.

It seems the GNU toolchain supports HCS12 family of processors.
Imagecraft had a very inexpensive compiler for this family as well.

Scott