Gigabit Ethernet

Does any body know how is the crc is calculated for jumbo frames of siz greater than 9K. What algorithm is used for that?

Reply to
josesmn

Since it's usually implemented in hardware, and since the hardware doesn't know that it's jumbo until it's done, I'd say it's the same CRC-32.

--
	mac the naïf
Reply to

doesn't

Thank you for ur reply. But i asked this question becouse when frame size is above 9K,CRC32 will loose its effectiveness. then how can we use that?

Reply to
josesmn

Longer frames only _reduce_ the effectiveness of detecting errors, the you should make sure that when using larger than 9 K frames that the raw physical error rate is significantly lower than in a typical installation.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

As you say, ineffectively. That's why jumbo-grams aren't standard, and usually aren't supported above 10K.

--
	mac the naïf
Reply to