Gigabit ethernet ICs

I'm looking to add a gigabit ethernet switch to a design, 4-8 ports would be ideal. A standalone switch (as long as it can autodetect

100/1000) would do, but a switch with a local 100Mb MAC capable port would be ideal. Any ideas?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

The two vendors I have used for both 100 and GE devices (and their stuff always worked for me) are BroadCom and Marvell.

You won't get any (legallly) information on Broadcom devices without an NDA. Marvell may or may not be more forthcoming on an immediate basis.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Thanks Pete. Where did you get the parts from?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

PeteS wrote On 11/23/05 07:41,:

Broadcom were the biggest jerks I have ever encountered for documentation. Getting a simple, one page spec out of them was like trying to get a state secret.

Reply to
Scott Moore

In both cases I dealt with the manufacturers direct and their reps (not distribution) for the local area.

We had to buy through distribution, but that industry has had so many changes, you'll need to look it up at their sites.

For Broadcom, you need to contact them directly. Here's their site:

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Thanks. I'm beginning to regret this. I'm getting the impression that the technology is "nascent", what hope of long term supply stability? :(

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke