GDB XScale IQ80321 - 'cannot set breakpoint 1'

Hi All

I have recently started playing with the Intel IQ80321 embedded I/O
board. I am using the GNU toolchain. The host talks to this board
through the RAVEN JTAG connector (www.macraigor.com). I am trying to
run a simple embedded-hello-world-like code through the GNU debugger -
GDB (for XScale). However whenever I download the code on the hardware
and try to run it I get the message - Cannot insert breakpoint. The
explanation in the GDB manual for this kind of an error assumes that
the system is the usual desktop and the program being debugged is a
user process, hence not applicable to my situation.

I have the following questions:
1) Is it a GDB problem? if yes any suggestions on getting around it!
2) Would this be some hardware issue? I am currently reading the
manual.
3) The GDB program talks to a local socket application provided by the
JTAG supplier, which translates GDB commands to JTAG signals. Would
the JTAG interface be the problem?

If there is something obvious that I am not doing, please comment and
advise!

thank you for your time!

regards

XU