fastest capacitor

electrolytic capacitors arent fast enough
what is the fastest capacitor around uF range ?

Re: fastest capacitor
On 25 Nov 2003 12:51:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (anotherbrick)

A speed rating? For capacitors?

Internal resistance, maybe?

Mike Harding

Re: fastest capacitor
Does he mean when you drop them? ;)

Re: fastest capacitor

I remember in the movie "Back to The Future" the mad scientist required a
"flux capacitor" to make the time machine work correctly.  Maybe a 1uF
ceramic flux capacitor would work?  Have you checked Digi-Key for these?

Re: fastest capacitor

Ceramic caps OK for you?
You can get them up to 10uF in 1206 size (10V).

--
Stef

Re: fastest capacitor

Are you  meaning ESR?

If so then try tantalum. Also read the data sheets, there are low ESR
electrolytic also.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Ralph

Re: fastest capacitor
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:19:44 +1300, the renowned "Ralph Mason"

Ceramic caps of around 1uF at low voltage are cheap and small these
days.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: fastest capacitor
On 25 Nov 2003 12:51:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (anotherbrick)

I assume that you mean electrolytics have too much inductance at high
frequencies.  The usual solution is to parallel the electrolytic with
something like a ceramic or metalized .1 uF capacitor to handle the
high frequencies.

-Robert Scott
 Ypsilanti, Michigan
(Reply through newsgroups, not by direct e-mail, as automatic reply address is
fake.)

Re: fastest capacitor

Perhaps you mean series resonant frequency. You'll find ceramic chip
caps are very good, and yes they are very economical at 1uF.

--
Mike Page BEng(Hons) MIEE           www.eclectic-web.co.uk

Site Timeline