Cellular protocols

I want to do a home security system, cellular controlled and reporting
failures(I live a little bit far of the city).

I've been thinking on a 8bits mcu(H8, Z8Encore, PIC18, etc), so I must to
write a lightweight firmware. What's the hottest cellular protocol?: WAP,
Bluethoot, GSM, SMS.

Best regards,
Nitron.

Re: Cellular protocols

do you mean that you want to install a security system or you want to
develop a saleable product?

do you mean WiFi, 802.11?  (I don't know enough on this to comment)

This has a range of 10s of metres, up to 1000 in extended mode
is this enough?

This is not a point-to-point protocol.  You need to 'buy-in' to
a network and pay user fees.  You will not develop this on your
own (my own employer has a team of 150 people and that's just
to upgrade to use the newest features - yes I think this team is
too large as well!)

This is not a protocol either.  It is a service that uses the GSM
network  There is work being done to carry it on other networks
but once again you will still need to buy network time as a carrier
for whatever it is that you want.

There is a current idea to develop an MMS based security system
that sends you a video picture when your alarm goes off.  Is this
the sort of thing that you want?  Though I can't find a link to where
I saw it

tim

,

Re: Cellular protocols

You're mixing up completely unrelated things here.  Of the above, the
only one that qualifies as a "cellular protocol" would be GSM.  WAP
and SMS are subsets of GSM.  Bluetooth isn't cellular at all ---
there's no way foreseen at all for a Bluetooth device to be handed
over from one "cell" to another.

I would describe none of them as "lightweight" unless you discount all
the heavy work to a COTS protocol support part, e.g. a GSM modem
chipset.  For something entirely on your own turf, Bluetooth would be
about the only choice among those unless you already have GSM coverage
--- you certainly *cannot* go and set up your own GSM cell net, for
both monetary and legal reasons.

The easiest way might be to get a USB-enabled processor and a
USB-to-Bluetooth bridge.  Or replace USB by plain old RS232 in that.