Cellular protocols

Hi,

I want to do a home security system, cellular controlled and reporting failures(I live a little bit far of the city).

I've been thinking on a 8bits mcu(H8, Z8Encore, PIC18, etc), so I must to write a lightweight firmware. What's the hottest cellular protocol?: WAP, Bluethoot, GSM, SMS.

Best regards, Nitron.

Reply to
Nitron

do you mean that you want to install a security system or you want to develop a saleable product?

do you mean WiFi, 802.11? (I don't know enough on this to comment)

This has a range of 10s of metres, up to 1000 in extended mode is this enough?

This is not a point-to-point protocol. You need to 'buy-in' to a network and pay user fees. You will not develop this on your own (my own employer has a team of 150 people and that's just to upgrade to use the newest features - yes I think this team is too large as well!)

This is not a protocol either. It is a service that uses the GSM network There is work being done to carry it on other networks but once again you will still need to buy network time as a carrier for whatever it is that you want.

There is a current idea to develop an MMS based security system that sends you a video picture when your alarm goes off. Is this the sort of thing that you want? Though I can't find a link to where I saw it

tim

,
Reply to
tim

You're mixing up completely unrelated things here. Of the above, the only one that qualifies as a "cellular protocol" would be GSM. WAP and SMS are subsets of GSM. Bluetooth isn't cellular at all --- there's no way foreseen at all for a Bluetooth device to be handed over from one "cell" to another.

I would describe none of them as "lightweight" unless you discount all the heavy work to a COTS protocol support part, e.g. a GSM modem chipset. For something entirely on your own turf, Bluetooth would be about the only choice among those unless you already have GSM coverage

--- you certainly *cannot* go and set up your own GSM cell net, for both monetary and legal reasons.

The easiest way might be to get a USB-enabled processor and a USB-to-Bluetooth bridge. Or replace USB by plain old RS232 in that.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker