Powering a Fluke multimeter from a Constant Power Supply

Hi,

I work for a software company and recently we have had to start doing some electronics testing in relation to our software.

The problem we are running into is that we have these mid-grade (~ $500) multimeters run out of batteries before the hardware we are testing does, and the test we are running is to benchmark current draw over the life of the battery. The multimeters run on 6 AA batteries in series which should be about 9V if each one is 1.5V. When we connect our Constant power supply to it's battery terminals and try to run it with 9V, the meter does not turn on. I've tried overpowering it a little by running 10V but this also did not work. Our CPS is 3A so that should not be the problem.

I'm wondering, what could cause this? Is there a solution for it?

Any thoughts or advice would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Collin

Reply to
TheRain

A $500 dollar multi meter usually has an external power provision. If your unit is truly 9 volts and you are supplying 9 volts with enough current I can only guess that you are not connecting it properly. Make sure the supply is not going into current limiting.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

--
What do you mean by "Constant power supply"?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

This meter doesn't seem to have any available accessories to run from anything but it's batteries.

Current limiting is something I thought of this morning and seems like a possibility. I think that in all cases we had the power supply making all 3A available.

I'm fairly certain we are connecting it properly. Plus and minus are clearly marked on the battery pack and we lined these up to the contacts multiple times to make sure we were tapping the right ones.

Thanks for your help, thoughts and suggestions!

Reply to
TheRain

I just mean a DC variable power supply, such that you would use in a lab etc.

Reply to
TheRain

--- OK. If you've got the meter turned on while you're attaching the external supply, it may be that the meter hates it and shuts itself off.

Try turning the meter off, then connecting the supply, then turning the meter on.

Also, check the output of the supply and the leads going from the supply to the battery terminals. Ya never know...

BTW, which meter is it?

JF

Reply to
John Fields

They are Fluke 289's I just put in a call to Fluke as well to see if they had any thoughts. Most likely they won't have anything "official" to say about connecting a power supply in that manner heh.

Reply to
TheRain

What you've described should work, assuming that your polarity is right and the power supply isn't going into current limit. AFAIK, there's no "cell present" sense switch or similar.

I've got one of the relatives of that series (189? 187? forget which just now) and it is indeed a battery hog. Nice meter, otherwise. Fluke does provide an option for a C-cell battery pack for additional capacity (that works with the 289, as well), so that's another option:

Fluke also has a pretty good web forum, for an additional resource:

Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

Thanks very much for the link to the fluke site. I'm going to check if there's a possiblity that our power supply isn't supplying the 3A I expected or something like that.

Reply to
TheRain

--
Since you\'ve got the DMM, why don\'t you use _it_, loaded with fresh
AA\'s, to test the supply?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

If the meter is trying to pull more than 3 A then something is seriously wrong. The 189 here only draws about 20 mA at 6 V (17 - 23, depending on what it's doing) and the 189 is reputed to be the power hog in the family.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

In some dvm's, the battery must be truly floating. If your supply is grounded, and the voltmeter input low side is grounded, bad stuff may happen.

Try a floating wall-wart and see if that's any different.

John

"TheRain"

** Suspect that there are more than 2 internal connections to that 6 cell stack.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It might be a 9V supply, or it might be a +/- 4.5V supply. Have you verified that the cells are in series, and that the meter doesn't connect to the midpoint(s) of the series?

Reply to
whit3rd