Multimeter and Motherboard/ Power Supply

Hello,

Can anyone out there recommend a newbie-friendly illustrated online tutorial on how to test a power supply and motherboard with a multimeter?

Thanks in advance,

smackedass

Reply to
smackedass

You can test the ps voltages with a multimeter but the MB has many things than can not be checked.

The +5 and +- 12 can be checked with the multimeter if the ps comes on.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Diagnosing a power supply 'system' is rather easy and described in a previous post "When your computer dies without warning....." starting

6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp at:

Diagnosing a motherboard's many other functions gets rather more complex due to the diversity of designs and need for basic electronics knowledge. To better answer the motherboard part, you must limit the scope to particular sections or circuits. But part of a motherboard involved with power supply system starts with a procedure in that 6 Feb post.

Reply to
w_tom

Why do you want to do this? What do you expect will be the results?

--
.
Reply to

At first, I thought that I might be able to to decide if either/both a power supply or motherboard might need to be replaced.

Now, a bit better informed, I think that I can decide if a power supply is good, thereby (in most cases) leaving, by process of elimination, the motherboard as the most likely cause of a computer not booting, as far as to see the BIOS screen.

sa

Reply to
smackedass

Thank you.