Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

The title says it all really. See what happens when I try to destroy Fluke's new 28-II Multimeter:

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Ha! I thought you tied the multimeter to the back of the car and dragged it down the freeway. :P

Stopped at 3:20min. Had to continue life.

Reply to
D from BC

Got interesting up around 10:00 or so... 30 meters eh?

Screw you Dave, I wanna see that thing under a sledge. :) Or maybe a log splitter, or backhoe, or something...

Tim

Tim Williams

On a sunny day (Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:21:35 +1100) it happened "David L. Jones" wrote in :

Well, why bother, I have a 5 Euro multimeter, if it blows I will get an other 5 Euro multimeter. But it says it is 100% protected. Why burn so many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$? Just for the show??? Makes no sense to me.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

He got it for nuffin just to test.

Reply to
F Murtz

If you had seen some of his earlier videos, you'd know why. By all means use your cheaper meter if you like, but there is such a thing as, "measurement confidence". If your work is important, perhaps with lots of money or even someone's life potentially at stake, which meter would I rather rely on? I think the answer is pretty obvious. I own meters large and small, el cheapos and better ones. But when I really need to know, right now and with no bullshit, I reach for the Fluke.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

David L. Jones Inscribed thus:

Nice field trip. Most impressive ! I did think that the LCD would have broken much sooner though. The inductor failure could have been prevented. Good one.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Absolutely the most idiotic video I've seen in months.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Fluke.

I bought an expensive Fluke multimeter 20 years. It continues to work well, and has only needed to have the LCD contacts cleaned (twice). I'm almost 63, and if I live to be 90, I expect it to continue to work.

Harbor Freight sometimes sells their cheap multimeter for $2 (!!!). I gave one to a friend for Christmas, because he needed one for occasional work. I can see taking such a meter into places it might be damaged or destroyed. But I wouldn't use it for daily work.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I bought a Univolt DT-830 around 1984, and it is still working well too. The only gripe is that the slide ON/OFF switch corroded and became intermittent (because I used to live by the sea, I think) so I replaced it with a toggle switch. The DT-830 uses a 40-pin DIL ICL7106 and other readily available components like LM324's etc on a normal (not surface mount) PCB, so if it does break down I should be able to fix it myself. It does lack auto-off, but it draws SFA power anyway.

Reply to
fritz

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in news:0072e6b7$0$2885$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

what's the point of destroying a multimeter?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in news:hn0flj$bdj$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

the first one I bought was WAY off in voltage reading;IMO,useless. a 1.5v cell read over 2 volts. FYI,the input Z for those HF DMMs is ONE megohm.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"David L. Jones" kirjoitti viestissä:BJGkn.72617$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe18.iad...

More multimeter torturing: Here is report about those $5 multimeters

And video:

Better to stay away from mains with those. I learned that hard way when I measured a water heater with some unknown cheap meter. First measured phase-to-ground 230 V fine... then phase to phase BANG instead of 380 V Fortunately only 16 A fuses on that circuit, so only damage was charred multimeter. Think if someone were dumb enough to measure something protected with 250 A fuses... Like if he forgot his own meter in car and sees nice looking meter lying somewhere and actually believes the "CAT III 600V" text printed on it. "Well, this meter should do the job" and then it shorts in his hands at about 1/10 voltage CAT III meter should withstand.

-E

Err, it's FUN?

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Jim Yanik Inscribed thus:

Advertising !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:21:35 +1100, "David L. Jones" put finger to keyboard and composed:

My AUD$3K Fluke PM97 failed from normal use. The batteries wouldn't hold a charge from day 1, the AC adapter failed after only a short time, one of the probes failed soon after, and then the meter itself failed. The service manual was missing the power supply page (maybe some Fluke/Philips tech used it and forgot to replace it).

One day I'll step on it ... again, and again, and again.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Then why wasn't it repaired/replaced under warranty?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Well, Fluke Australia had given it to him to review, and they said he could torture test it. The new models 27 and 28 replace the previous models renowned for their ruggedness, so I think it makes sense.

The 100 foot drop onto concrete left my jaw hanging wide open. Then he did it AGAIN without the rubber holster...oh, my.

Want to bet they put a little RTV on those inductors in the future?

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

A bit like kicking kittens?

;-)

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Precisely. The unit isn't just sold as regular multimeter, it is specifically designed and marketed as a super rugged meter that is designed to survive abuse and water ingress, just like the original Fluke 25 and 27. If that wasn't the case you'd just buy the identical model 87V. So to NOT test those aspects would be a poor review indeed. And then to only drop it from 3m where I know it's going survive is kinda pointless. So it makes sense to push it and get a meaningful data point at which it does actually break.

My jaw was equally wide open!

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to